Chapter Sixteen

"If loving fashion is a crime, we plead guilty."
- Anon.

Adira was wearing her new evening dress; a strapless emerald gown covered with red sequins, the bodice of which hugged on her slim waist and dropped loosely to her knees, exposing her slim legs. Her hair was tied into a careful, perfect bun.

She looked at herself in the mirror, her adventurous eyes glittering like the ruby bracelet around her wrist. A smile met her glossy lips. She nodded, sated with what she saw.

She still had time, a little less than five minutes on her skinny, gold watch. She sat on one of the settees in her room, debating on what to fortify herself with: music or alcohol. She decided none. Nothing could calm her. Her senses were heating up.

She would be lying if she said she wasn't nervous. Being her first date in a very long time, she felt sick to her guts. She didn't know how it was supposed to go anymore. She didn't know what she was supposed to do or how to feel when she was aware of how she would be spending her night.

Still sitting impatiently, back straight on the sofa, she waited.

Suddenly, the door rapped. She jolted, then strolled to it casually, aware of what she was wearing.

She opened the door.

"Good evening, ma," a short, heavily built man greeted, his hands clasped behind his back.

"Oh, hello" she answered, her thick eyebrow raised as a curious expression crossed past her face. "Are you lost? How may I help you?"

"I'm your driver for the evening, Miss Adira. The car is waiting."

"Oh, right!" she muttered suddenly going in to grab her purse and at the same moment stealing a glance from the mirror.

"Alright," she said when she returned. The driver simply nodded and lead the way. His fat hands were still behind his back.

Adira closed the gate, whipping around her red Fendi pumps which crawled on the gravel ground. There, in front of her house, stood a Mercedes. She stood there looking at it. She never really fancied cars, but she fancied this one. She wasn't the only one being extra, she realized.

Without waiting a moment, she got into the car and shut the door. The engine ignited with a bold but soothing sound. As she sat quietly, she caught the driver's eyes in the rearview mirror. It asked so many questions she would never know the answers to.

The driver veered the car to a halt, in front of a gargantuan restaurant in the white light of the western moon

Benjamin, powerfully built and handsome, stood in front of a small table, his left hand in his trouser pocket, smiling. He was wearing a tuxedo, which wasn't a problem. The problem was he looked so extravagant in it that it left Adira almost breathless. She didn't know another word.