Chapter Thirteen

"Distance is a dangerous thing, she knew. Distance changed people."
                     - Rohinton Mistry.

The house was full for the first time in forever. That was why nobody touched their food until everyone had settled down. It wasn't every time they were rewarded with the sight of each other. With their busy lives, it was hard to get them together.

When everyone was present, Daniel cleared his throat.

"Since everyone is present," he eyed Adira."We'll all eat in the dining room."

"Ay," Grace complained, squeezing her face. "But I'm not used to eating there. Daddy, please don't go there. The chair is too high for me."

"That's because you're not an aeroplane child," David rolled his eyes. "Wheelbarrow. You'd have to stack some clothes up."

Before Grace could make a gibe, Elizabeth came into the now full room. "Okay, lunch and dinner have been made."

Grace eyed her mother and kept shut.

"Ready?"

"What are we having?" Adira asked.

"Rice and stew," David sang.

"With fish," Grace added.

Adira chuckled. "Okay, I did not ask any of you."

At the table, Daniel intoned the grace, and the family joined in. Adira made sure her mother dished her food in a very fashion-like manner.

Dinner was eaten silently, except for the sounds made by the crockeries.

Adira spoke first. She believed silence was a bad table manner, especially during a family gathering. "So, how was school Grace?"

Daniel watched his younger sister play with her food. He wanted to say something but words wouldn't form.

"School was great. Learnt new things about animals. Did you know that the cat's whiskers are also known as Vibrissa? And it's extremely dangerous?" she stopped talking and wiped her mouth with the back of her hand. "And I'm not supposed to be talking while eating."

Adira snorted. "Okay, you're learning well for sure," she turned to David. "How about you, D?"

"Well, the usual. Learn, sport, repeat. You know the things big boys do."

Grace scoffed.

David swallowed his rice and turned to her. "You have something to say?"

"Yes, but I'm not supposed to talk while eating," she retorted. "So don't make me."

"Since when did they become like this?" Adira asked.

Daniel and Elizabeth just watched with boredom. It wasn't anything new.

After dinner, Daniel called Adira to his bedroom.

Adira knocked on the door. "Daddy, ami ke di. It's me, Adira."

"Eyen, duk di. Come in, dear."

Adira got in, closed the door gently, and walked up to him. Like every other part of the house, her parent's bedroom was still the same. The golden lamp was still by the side of the bed and the walls were still coated with yellow paint.

Daniel closed the white curtains and sat on the bed with a sly smile on his face. Underneath his pillow, he brought out a small bottle of whiskey and turned the liquor into a small glass. He took the first sip, then passed it on to Adira who enjoyed the secret drink. After their little communion, they quietly got out of the room with strongly scented sweets like nothing ever happened.

When it came to having fun, the Archibong family had no inhibitions. They partied with nonalcoholic drinks, sang, and danced to the music of the sixties, seventies, and eighties.

Kicking it old school, Daniel would say.

It wasn't long before the neighbours were entertained - or disturbed to Mike Okri's Time na money and Music maker by Jimmy Cliff. When it got to singing ABBA's single: Gimme gimme gimme, the whole house broke into a dancing sphere.

The women wiggled their small bodies and the men just sang at the top of their voices. Then they progressed to Red wine by UB40, where everyone raised their glasses of Zobo in the air, pretending it was hard liquor.

As the moon began to set, the family decided to complete it with The Everly Brothers' Take a message. Everyone sang in drunk-like unison as if the Zobo had any effect on them.

"I could use a real drink right now," Adira complained.

"Why don't you get your small whiskey bottle and drown in it?" Elizabeth said, receiving a shocked look from both her husband and child.

Adira remained impassive.

Daniel sniggered. "You knew?"

"Of course I knew. I am your wife," she looked at Adira, "and your mother. You people thought I was dumb?"

"I've been hiding it for days. Why didn't you say something?" Daniel asked, still in disbelief.

"Well, I was waiting for the right time. There's a special place in hell for you both," she professed.

"Oh really? Afon. Even better. At least we'll have something hot, something to burn our throats. Abi? Right, Adira?"

Adira chuckled. "I think I'll give that one a miss, daddy."

"Abasi mi. Betraying your father, Adira? That's not how I taught you," Daniel chortled.

AUTHOR'S NOTE:

Thank you again for reading.

Vote and comment for a pixie to smile.