Chapter Thirty-nine

"Our love was a two-person game. At least until one of us died, and the other became a murderer."
               - Dark Jar Tin Zoo.

Ebuka closed the door and locked it immediately, putting the house key into his trouser pocket.

"It's a full house I see," he declared in a showy fashion. Then he smiled a smile that didn't reach his eyes. And you know the type of smile that didn't reach your eyes was the type that wasn't real.

"What is the meaning of this? Who are you and what are you doing in my house?" Ndidi growled in anger. "Get out. Now!'

Ebuka turned and faced her, surprised by what she had said. "Your house?" he asked confusingly. "Well, I didn't know that. If I did I wouldn't be here. I just came to pay her a little visit," he pointed to Adira. There was that smile again. "Did you miss me?"

Ndidi"s face screwed up as she watched him. Her anger seemed to have shot up. "What-"

"Shut up!" Ebuka shouted and the whole house fell silent. He closed his eyes and shook his head before looking up. "I just want some peace and quiet, please. Just peace and quiet."

"What are you doing here?" Adira asked in a whisper. She was too afraid to speak.

"Ah ah. I came to pay you a visit," he said, stepping closer so his face was in full view. "I thought you would have forgotten about me, Adira." He smiled, it didn't look anywhere near intruding. "I'm glad you didn't. I was really hoping you wouldn't."

It was scary. Something flashed in his eyes. Adira didn't know what it was but every time he looked at her, it became darker, more intense, more hateful.

"I could not," she said, trying to play it cool.

Ebuka stepped closer. "Well, that's somehow cool. But, why did you leave me? Why did you run? Was I that too bad of a dancer, Adira?" he cocked his head to one side. "Or am I not attractive enough for you?"

"I was tired and I was drunk," she shuttered slightly. "That's all. I just needed rest, that's all."

"Were you, Adira?" he asked touching her neck.

Adira nodded severely. "Yes, I was. I was very tired and I started feeling a little sick. Maybe it was the beer. I don't-"

"You're so beautiful," he muttered, trailing a finger down to her collarbone. "I don't want to hurt you but you did hurt me that night. And you know the funny thing? The pain is still there. It still hurts. It still makes me sick. How could you, Adira? How could you leave?"

"I'm sorry."

"You left me hanging, Adira," he said clicking his tongue.

"I'm sorry."

"You even slapped me," he continued to profess then he swore softly under his breath. "How could you do that to me? Why did you have to hurt me like that?"

"I am so sorry," she replied desperately. She couldn't breathe properly. Whenever she tried to inhale, she just stopped. She didn't know it will all come to this. If she did, she wouldn't have even bothered going to the club. "It won't happen again, I swear. Please."

"Very true. It won't happen again. I'll make good sure of that."

Adira could hear the danger in his voice. Her stomach clenched. She didn't know if she should fight or succumb to the overdriving instinct to run. She jerked back, tripping over some things in the process.

Ebuka held her hand tightly, steadying her. He smiled and stroked her cheek with the back of his hand. "There you go."

Between fear, fury, and pain, she spoke: "Thank you."