Chapter Twenty

"I believe what really happens in history is this: the old man is always wrong, and the young people are always wrong about what is wrong with him."
-G. K. Chesterton.

It was the season for rain.

That afternoon, Adira walked swiftly in the drizzling rain. She had her trouser folded up to her knees as soon as she got out of the taxi. The streets were already flooded, so she had to hop on stones until she got in front of one of a row of bungalows in the cold street.

It was her father who answered the door after she had given several discreet rat-a-tats with the door knocker.

Daniel popped his head out. A bright smile held his face when he saw her. He left the door ajar and gestured for her to come in. He was wearing a white singlet and a folded wrapper around his waist. Even in his old age, he still looked a fine figure of a man.

"Adira," he enthused. "Long time no see."

"Yes, daddy. I'm sorry. I've been busy," she said truthfully. Being close to Benjamin was like walking on clouds. Everything became easy for her. So many assignments, so little time.

"Okay," he hummed. "Just try not to be too busy."

Adira sat close to him. She immediately shot up when she came in contact with the chair. She turned and examined the back of her trousers.

Daniel watched her slowly, then he nodded in realization. "Sorry, dear. The roof is leaking," he sighed. "I told that brother of yours to dry the cushions. He must have forgotten."

"But there is no sun outside."

"Oh. It's true. Sorry, dear. Take another seat."

"No problem," she said finding a dry couch to rest herself. "How about-"

"Your mother?" he cut her off. "She went to your aunt's place to see her tailor. She'll be back in a few."

"Okay. And-"

"Grace and David?" he asked cutting across her again. "Still in school or something. I don't know."

Adira sighed. "Daddy, I know how to finish my sentences. I would like it if you did not finish it for me."

"Okay," he replied languidly.

"How are you doing?" she inquired, puzzled.

"I'm not so fine," he said piteously. "As you can see the roof's leaking. The carpenter likes to take his time."

Daniel never complained, so seeing him worried was a huge problem.

"That's bad. What's wrong with him?" she asked.

"How would I know?" he scoffed. "I called him a few hours ago. He told me he'd be with me in a few. I wonder how long it would take to for him to be here. The boy just makes me angry."

Adira laughed. "Okay, daddy. Don't worry, I'll find a new carpenter for you. It wouldn't be a bad idea."

"I didn't ask for charity. I'd rather die than be a burden to my children," he shrugged involuntarily. "I just wanted you to know. I didn't ask you to fix it."

Adira looked at him. She knew exactly where her stubbornness came from.

"Okay, I'll get my own carpenter to fix the roof for you," she offered. "Will you accept that one?"

Daniel stared. "Yes, of course," he smiled. "Are you hungry?"

"I should be asking you sef."