Chapter Thirty-eight +

"For there to be a betrayal, there would have to have been a trust first."
                   - Suzanne Collins.

Everything came as a shock to her. By this time, Ndidi was hyperventilating. She shook her head slowly. "No, no, no, no. This can't be true."

"What is it?" Anna asked, touching her.

"Brenda, how could she do this to me?" she muttered. It wasn't hot but she was already sweating. "Brenda!" she shouted.

Brenda came out of the kitchen, her face innocent and her eyes uneasy. "Yes, what's up?" she managed a smile.

"So, this is what you have been doing behind our backs? Hm?" Ndidi held up the phone to her face. "Is this how shameless you live your life?"

Brenda uttered a sigh of relief internally. She didn't care about the consequences anymore. She was relieved that at last, everything was finally out in the open. She was tired of keeping secrets.

"Answer me!" Ndidi yelled.

She didn't say anything, she just stared at the floor. Every nerve in her brain was frozen. Her ability to move or speak was far gone. The day had finally come. And though she had prayed for it, she never, even for a minute thought of how it would play out. She never thought of what she would say to ease the tension. She didn't think of how much trouble it would bring.

For her, her friends were the only people she had left. If she lost them, she'd lose everything. She regretted putting herself in the position she was in. If only she knew she hadn't bought happiness with her body that night but rather, the tickets to her ruin.

"Brenda, tell me it's just a joke," Ndidi stepped forward. "Please, tell me you can explain. I promise I'll believe you," her voice cracked with emotions.

Brenda shook her head and stepped backward. At the corner of the other girl's eyes, almost imperceptibly, she saw a tear. She put her head down as her own eyes began to water.

Anna was up to her feet. She looked worried but decided not to interfere.

"Brenda, you can't tell me you've been having sex with my father for no reason at all," Ndidi hissed.

The blood drained from Brenda's face completely. The words hurt her so much that she had to place a hand on her chest to feel bet heartbeat. She didn't mean it, she wanted to say. It was like she had been impaled with a hot knife. Then, as she looked up to say something, anything.

The loud sound of Ndidi's palm against her cheek took her totally by surprise. "I trusted you!" she took a harsh breath. "How could you do this to me?"

Brenda jerked back and held her burning cheek, tears suddenly rolling down her eyes.

Where Ndidi's hand had impacted was a red mark.

"What's happening?" Adira came into the living room frowning. She cleaned her wet hands on her apron and stepped closer.

"Isn't it this good-for-nothing girl that has been having sex with my father," Ndidi said to her, letting anger speak. She listened and let it take charge. She turned to Brenda. "And you call yourself my friend? How?"

Adira's frown deepened. "Is that true?" she too turned to Brenda.

Brenda shook her head. She felt like she had lost everything. The horror of the situation burnt through her. "I'm sorry," she kept her head down, her hand still on her cheek. "Please, I'm so sorry."

"I don't want your sorry, I want a reason. You are my friend, Brenda. You can't just start sleeping with my father like that. I need a reason, if not, this building will not carry both of us."

"Brenda, say something. What does it all mean?" Anna urged, but Brenda still stood motionless.

A loud silence moved through them for a spilt second.

Then: "Get out!" Ndidi growled. "I don't ever want to see you ever again!"

Brenda finally looked up, a surprised look on her face. "Ndidi," she muttered.

Adira walked up to Ndidi, "Ndidi, calm down. It hasn't come to this," she held Ndidi's arm which she jerked away.

"Shey, she doesn't want to talk. Let her get out of my house. I'm tired of seeing her standing there. Get out!"

"Ndidi-" Anna started but Brenda interrupted.

"It's okay. I'll go."

She turned on her heels and disappeared, moving quickly into the kitchen.

As Brenda ran to the kitchen to get her properties, the front door swung open. A black, muscular figure emerged. It closed the door gently and locked it.

All three ladies twirled to where the figure stood, statue-like in the darkness. Then, slowly, it emerged further like a predator in the advancing light.

Everyone was confused. They weren't expecting anyone.

Adira looked terribly confused for a second, then it dawned on her. She was the first to recognise the man. She couldn't forget the face. She couldn't even if she tried.

The intriguing smile, the bright eyes, the crew hair cut.

"Ebuka?" her voice came out in a small hush.