Chapter 14

Paul's POV

Cait- my Cait almost died! And she didn't even seem to care! The look she sent me was like a dagger to the heart. She looked so broken. So . . . lifeless that it was terrifying to watch. How could my baby have become so . . . dead? And when she said I wanted her to die, I almost lost it. I knew I shouldn't have said that to her but I had to make her hate me! But I've gone too far. She almost died and if I hadn't saved her then she would have been gone by now. She would've let that truck run her over without a second thought! Why? Because of me. Because of the boys. We're the reasons she wants to die. I never thought this would happen. But it has and now I don't even know how to fix it!

I have to tell Jared!

I hastily pulled my phone out of my pocket, dialing Sam's number and impatiently tapping my foot as I stood opposite Jared's house. I had followed Cait all the way home, too scared to leave her alone for fear that she'd get hurt. The whole time I'd been stood there though, nobody but Cait herself had gone into the house so I knew Jared had to be either in the woods on patrol, at Sam's stuffing his face or with his imprint. Sam's house was the more likely location though.

"Hello?"

"Hey Sam is Jared there?" I asked in rushed tone, wanting to talk to him and the others as soon as possible.

"Yea-"

"Good. Keep him there. And get all the guys together. I need to tell everyone something" I interrupted before shoving my phone into my pockets as I ran through the woods to Sam's house.

I could smell Emily's cooking from a mile away and though it would've normally made me hungry, today it was simply making me feel sick.

How can I so easily just sit and eat when my imprint has lost the will to live? Who could have an appetite in such circumstances?!

I barged into Sam's house without bothering to knock. It wasn't required for the pack usually anyway but today I wasn't in the mood for wasting time.

I rushed into the kitchen to see all the guys sat around the dining table, staring at me as they ate Emily's famous blueberry muffins.

Such pigs . . .

"So what's the emergency?" Jared asked lazily, not seeming too worried at the moment.

Well that's gunna change very soon . . .

"Cait"

At that everyone tensed up, Jared even going as far as standing up out of his chair and dropping his beloved muffin as he stared wordlessly at my face.

"What's wrong with Cait?" Jacob asked, sounding more in control than Jared looked.

Jared shook away his panic and nodded in agreement as he slowly sat back down.

"She nearly died today" I answered emotionlessly.

My heart was almost frozen. I was just so numbed by what I had seen that I couldn't even speak properly.

"She WHAT?!" The whole pack yelled in sync, in fact even Emily did so.

It seemed that she loved and cared for Cait, even despite not knowing her personally. Emily was just that sort of person. She'd heard so much about Cait from me and guys that we knew, that when she did eventually meet Cait, she'd already know her really well.

"How?!" Jared bellowed, his face turning red as his form shook in anger . . . whether it was at himself or me I didn't know.

But it was clear he was on the verge of phasing.

I sent a pointed look at Jacob and Embry who rushed to push Jared out into the woods, obviously none of us wanted him to phase inside the small house and damage anything.