Chapter 25

Daniels POV

I woke up feeling strange. My wolf was on high alert and I didn't know why. I looked over to the alarm clock. 3:46AM. Something moved beside me and I looked over. Alexis was squirming under the covers and her face was twisted in discomfort. Is she having a nightmare?

I rolled towards her and shook her shoulder gently. She stirred and her eyes flickered open. "Are you okay?" I asked. She looked around the room for a minute and then back to me. She looks worried.

"Yeah, it's probably just nothing" She sighed and rolled over. I watched her for a few minutes just to make sure she was okay and then I rolled over and went back to sleep, my wolf still on edge.

***

"Ahhhhhhh!"

I jolted out of bed and ran to the bathroom. Alexis was on the floor, holding her stomach. She looked up at me, tears streaming down her face. "My water broke, and everything hurts" She sobbed. So that's why my wolf was on edge, it could sense its pups distress.

I picked her up and carried her downstairs, not caring that I was in my pajamas. I spotted my dad in the kitchen and raced over to him. "Dad!" He turned around and his eyes grew wide. "What's going on?" He asked worried. "Her water broke! What do I do? She's not due for two weeks!" I screamed panicking.

"Alright calm down, take it easy. You go upstairs and get changed and get a bag with some clothes for Alexis. I'll go get your mother and we'll meet you at St Zachary's Hospital" I nodded and bolted up the stairs.

I ran through our room grabbing Alexis's clothes and shoving them into a bag. I threw the bag down the stairs and closed the door. I grabbed a black shirt and some jeans and chucked on my vans. I sprinted out the door, grabbing my keys and the bag.

I jumped in my car and sped off to the hospital. This was all my fault. Alexis said that having sex could trigger early labour, and I bugged her until she gave in. I am so stupid. My sons could die prematurely because of me. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

I pulled up to the hospitals carpark and sprinted inside. There was a lady at the front desk typing on a computer, so I ran up to her. "Excuse me, what room is Alexis Dalton in?" I asked quickly. I needed to get up there fast. The lady took her time, which pissed me the hell off.

She then looked up, "Room 39, Floor 3. Have a nice day" I nearly strangled her. I was sure as hell not having a nice day. I sprinted to the elevator, seeing that it was on floor five. It wouldn't be quick enough, so I bolted up the stairs.

By the time I reached the third floor, my legs were screaming at me, but I kept pushing on. I wasn't about to let Alexis go through this without her mate. I ran down the corridor looking at all the numbered doors. 32...34...36...38...40. Wait a minute. I stopped at room 40 and spun around to see room 39 on the other side of the corridor.

Yes.

I pushed through the door and threw the bag to the floor, racing over to Alexis' side. She was crying and in pain, and it nearly killed me. "Baby, are you okay?" I asked. Her shoulders shook as she sobbed, and she shook her head.

"It hurts Dan" She whispered. "I know baby, I know. But you'll be alright, okay? I'm right here. I'm not going anywhere. Except maybe the bathroom" She gave me a small smile and a tiny laugh. But that was all she could manage. She was in pain because of my selfishness.

A doctor walked in through the door and she smiled at us. I turned around and noticed my parents for the first time. "Okay, I just need to check how dilated she is, and then I need some information. After that we can discuss the possibilities that come with premature birth" She explained.

I nodded to her and she lifted up Alexis' green hospital gown. "Okay so you're only about a good three centimeters dilated, but it's moving a little too quickly. We might have to give you something to slow it down. How bad are the contractions?" She asked Alexis.

"Painful" She answered. The doctor smiled at her gently. "They're about twenty minutes apart. Is that healthy?" My mother asked. The doctor nodded and continued to ask questions as she wrote them down on the clipboard.

"Now, do we know how this was triggered prematurely?" She asked.

Uh oh.

I quickly shook my head. I know it was risky to lie to a doctor, but I wasn't about to admit to her and my parents that I had my way with her just because I was horny and selfish. "Okay then. That's me done. I'll be back to check on her in an hour" She said. "An hour?" I asked incredulously.

She nodded her head. "I've got other patients to look after too, and also birthing a baby doesn't happen in an hour" She said walking out of the room. My dad snickered at me and I glared at him.

"Sweetheart, didn't you read the books with Alexis? Labour can last a whole day, depending on the situation of the baby. It took me fifteen hours to have you" She said nonchalantly.

"Yeah, and my hand was in plaster for a month, because she refused to let go of it. It was lucky we were already in a hospital. I could of died" He said exasperated. "Oh shut up, a broken hand is nothing. I nearly broke my back, and my vagina was shattered" She said.

"OHMYGOD! SHUT UP!" I yelled at them.

They were immediately quiet and mum pulled out a magazine to read and dad was trying to steal it off of her. This was going to be a long wait.