Chapter 3 - Lunch offers

Staring at my computer screen, I realised that I barely knew how to start working on the case. The woman whose case I've chosen was in big need of help and I understood why she would call to this company, probably have heard that this is supposed to be the best in the entire US.

But, she wasn't that lucky as she was now stuck with me. Someone who went from working at a coffee shop to sitting in this office, almost have lied her way here. I didn't tell anyone that I've worked somewhere I hadn't but I did say that I knew what I was doing. That all the knowledge from my previous school law education was stuck with me.

I couldn't really understand why I got the job in the first place, from what I had heard, this company would never hire anyone without real experiences. It's supposed to be the best attorney for a reason. I didn't fit in here, with my school education being the only experience I had. It didn't make sense how I got the job.

Sighing, I tried to google sentences that would help me. Stuff like solving a sexual assault case and how to be a professional lawyer was seen in my search history. Good thing this was my own laptop, I didn't have to worry about the job seeing my previous searches. Yet, I didn't get any further tips. It was all for amateurs and not for someone who's been hired to work for the most famous company within this area. I was supposed to know all these things already.

I looked quite messy too, I wasn't wearing a suit like all other women were. Sure, I was wearing a blouse that wasn't too far off from looking professional but it still didn't help the fact that I was seen a little differently by the women who worked here. The men didn't seem to mind and it disgusted me to think of why.

What I was wearing showed a lot more than any other woman in this building.

To match my blouse, I was wearing a professional looking skirt. It was to my knees, a navy blue that I knew showed off my curves the right way. My body wasn't ideal for what the society wanted but I had never really cared about that. I liked my body, it kept me walking through the days. It was what had me still going strong and healthy. In my opinion, every person should respect and love their bodies but I understand the ones who had a harder time doing that.

"Knock, knock," Alex's voice echoed through my office and I looked up from my laptop with a smile. He was wearing the exact same outfit as yesterday and I wondered when he had shown up to work, considering he wasn't here this morning when I got in, "How are things going?"

I didn't ask him to come and interrupt me in my hardworking spirit but since I was only at the first stage of still googling for my answers, I didn't tell him to leave either. Which I kind of regretted once he was standing next to me, laughing at my screen in the most indiscreet way I had ever heard.

"Shut up," I mumbled, "I'm new here, okay? I don't know how to do these things."

"You can't google stuff like that," He tried to say between his laughter. It was clear to tell that he was making fun of me and I wasn't happy about it. For a moment, I really did want to slap him and ask him to exit my office. Then again, I was terrified of getting screwed over by him. He now knew that I didn't really know what I was doing here and I couldn't have him walking around and telling people about this secret, "I'll help you out. What do you need help with?"

Justin's words from yesterday were echoing through my head and I did my best to push them away. Alex was trying to be nice and help me get started in this company, I was being paranoid for no reason.

"I don't really know where to start," I mumbled, seeing him staring at my screen as I clicked down google and he was met with my case and the information that I had received with it. It was now up to me to be the best lawyer and look through all laws and rules in the book to see what the worst possible punishment could be. That was all that I knew but I didn't know how to document it, how to get started on the actual writing process, "It's just a bunch of words here."