Chapter 33 - Put the truths on the table

A couple of days passed since I had been forced to move back into the company, Justin's continuing talk about it being good for me. He tried to convince me that the only right thing to do was come back to the office and be by his side, which is what I had eventually given into.

It was coming up to lunchtime, the sun shining outside only proving the time further. New York was sunny today, the snowflakes that had been falling the previous days where nowhere to be seen anymore.

I sneaked into Justin's office, seeing him sit and analyse some papers in his hands. His eyes were focused and he barely noticed I stepped in, "Mhm," I coughed, catching his attention which made him look up and at the sight of me, a smile formed on his lips, "I'm gonna go get some lunch at the store."

He stood up from his chair and walked over to me, his arm going around my waist in order to push my body closer to his and his lips pressing a kiss to my ear, twice.

"You want me to come with you?" Justin asked. His voice was a soft and gentle whisper that travelled on my skin, head to toe, forming goosebumps all over my body. 

I shook my head whilst my smile grew, "I got it."

"Text me when you get back," Justin shrugged and pretended as if he wouldn't leave the door open in order to see me walk past the office whenever I returned. His actions were always too obvious when it came to me, especially when it came to being protective of me in the office. He wanted to have a full control over me whenever I was here.

"Hey Justin," I said before I left the office, the thought of not having seen his brother the past four days of coming back here suddenly intriguing me, "Where's Alex?"

He looked up at me, seeming a little taken aback by my question as if he didn't expect me to have noticed, "I don't know, is he not at work?"

"I haven't seen him since the four days I got back," I shrugged and I noticed how tense he looked, his jaw suddenly clenching at the mention of his brothers name and I realised I had to assure you that it wasn't for a specific reason, "Not that it matters, I was just curious."

"I don't care about him," Justin's voice was no longer sweet and gentle but instead was replaced with an aggressive tone, a cold one that had me shivering down to my knees, "He can do what he wants."

"Don't you care about your company?"

He laughed at my statement, "As he told you before, I'm not the boss of him. Our father is. That was his only requirement when I was handed the company, for our father to be his boss and not me."

"Oh," I said dumbfounded, taking part of the new information that made much more sense in my head. I couldn't help but wonder why neither of them said that to me before but I didn't want to bring it up, it wasn't necessary. Justin was clearly annoyed by the subject so I decided to drop it, "I'll get going," I mumbled and pointed to the door, "I'll see you later?"

I heard Justin mumble something annoyingly as a reply but I didn't give it much thought. Deep inside, I knew he wasn't mad at me but more rather about the situation. His eyes had turned a deep darker colour the same second I brought his brother up and that in itself showed me that he didn't like to talk about it. His brother was a tricky subject and I instantly noticed that this wasn't the time to ask questions.

Part of me was obviously still wondering where he had turned or if he had quitted at the attorney but I didn't want to push Justin for answers and since he seemed like he didn't care, he probably didn't know the answer. He seemed very uninterested in knowing where his coworkers went if they didn't show up at work.