Chapter Six

"I swear, that last one wasn't from me!" says Danny.

But there certainly was another blast from the level downstairs of the facility. Something else was happening, and it was coming closer with every crash. Many footsteps filed down a set of staircases, only to be followed by several shouts and orders. More gunfire. And then another explosion.

BOOM!

The explosion knocks even the children off their feet. They nervously grovel to stand, yet they remain quiet. Silence fills the entire building.

Moments seem like hours as the room, which is barricaded by a block of thick ice, is now showered in an unexpected heat. Liquid perspires on the ice exterior. Although sweat is forming on their skin, their insides are chilled.

A silhouette of a hand rests on the ice. In a single movement, Nick shuts off the lights with his new telekinesis gift. Darkness swallows the room in darkness, except for the door with the random hand.

Is it a conscious guard? Or...

The hand presses hard on the frozen blockade and melts past an inch deep. The ice cracks, and water trickles down to the floor, producing a murky puddle. In a few seconds, the ice melts off the door.

Click.

Nick locks the door.

Taking note of the locked door, the unknown figure lays a second hand of the door.

Now the Nills understand where the explosions came from.

Shards of wooden stakes fly across the room. Two people step inside, one reaching for the lightswitch. The bulb illuminates light over the two trespassers.

It's James Nill and Tommy Nill.

............................

Lucas eyes widen.

"TOMMY! Where have you been?!"

Tommy's twin throws himself at Tommy.Tommy does not answer, but continues to keep a serious face, as though he never found Lucas.

"What?" James says in a dramatic tone. "Do I get a welcome?"

The cousin looked at Nick expectantly.

"What are you doing here?" spits Nick, who rolls his eyes. James always knew how to make an entrance. Nick's glare turns into a confused look. Tommy and James had to use powers just to get to their floor.

Don't tell me James got powers from the asteroid too.

"Well, I thought it would be nice to visit my cousin, since, you know, the rest of our family don't care," James says with a grimace. It was the first time that Tommy smiled.

"For your information," Danny hisses. "They don't know we're here, so--"

"And for your information," James cuts off Danny. "I didn't request for you to speak."

Jesse snorts, but is silenced when Danny elbows him in the ribs.

"Amused, Jesse? Perhaps I will entertain you more, once you join my league."

There is silence. James, their drunken cousin, forming a league of superheroes? It's almost laughable, though no one has the courage to.

"A league?" asks Lucas.

"Exactly. A league of people like me and Tommy. And let's face it, Tommy and I know you got talents from the asteroid. Well, by following you six, I was altered too. And to repay your gratitude I invite you five."

Nick didn't have to read their minds to know what everyone was thinking.

No.

Definitely no.

There is no one in their right mind that would--

"Alright," Lucas sighs.

"WHAT?" Danny yells.

How could anyone with at least one brain cell join a malfunctioning band of idiots like James's? Lucas glances at his cousins for support, however nothing is returned.

"We've finally found people who are just like us, and you're gonna decline the offer?" Lucas asks. No one responds. The Nills stare at Lucas. He takes a gulp of air. "Fine," he continues. "I see how it is."

"Lucas, no," warns Danny.

"I'm going with my twin. Do you remember him? Yeah, because it seems like you forgot he was missing until now."

"Of course we didn't forget..." Danny answers unconvincingly.

"Let's go, brother," orders Tommy.

"Hold on," says James, holding out a hefty arm to stop the twins. "Anyone else care to come with me?"

Silence again.

"Okay. But from now on, our peaceful treaty is gone." He grins. Tommy follows suit, thinking of the same thing. They nod together. Tommy spreads out his hands, and to columns of flame erupt from his hands and wrap around the room, covering ever corner in a growing inferno.

"So long, cousins."

Before he could think of a plan, Nick pitches himself over to the desk, which was still in good condition. The temperature is searing hot. Fire edges its way to the center of the room. Smoke glogs their lungs and obscure their eyes. 

"Take my hand!" Jesse chokes, barely audible over the roaring fire.

With one hand, Nick scooped up the paperwork possessing facts about the asteroid. He reached his free hand outward, and Jesse's sweating palms clasp onto his.

Nick feels the same twisting sensation as he is teleported into the hotel room. His clothes still singing off his body, he collapses onto the stiff bed.