Chapter 20

CARLS POV

When his mother would use a stele on his skin to make him feel pain Carl would coward away. If anything, being whipped by a belt was much worse. He was learning to take Katherine's words like a stele to his skin, except the pain was in his heart. He already had his mother's whim's conquered and now he had to do the same with Kat. At least she took a bite of the cake and she was showing side effects. He caught her swooning at him and he had to fight back to laughter building up in his throat. He remembered on a crisp winter day when he got home he told his mother how he felt.....

Carl stepped into the New York Institute, ignoring Kat's curious eyes on him. He was heading to talk to his parents in the office. "Mom!" he said in surprise as he almost ran into Farah. "Yes son?" she moved back into the office. Her hands smoothed over the desk, searching for something. "I like Katherine" he confessed, his throat contracting. He shied away when she turned around so suddenly and quickly. "I want her to love me!" he went on. "She doesn't like you" "I'll make her!" "Calm down Carl your thirteen, you've got plenty of time!" He growled. His mother's cold clinical eyes laid on him and she got her husbands belt and whipped him across his almost-innocent face before he had time to register it was happening again. Carl showed no pain, only stared back at his mother in humiliation and anger. He wanted to kill her for what she does to him. It isn't right. Even when Carl's anger couldn't vent out of his system and instead of going through his mouth, twisting into ugly shapes for an excuse for her to hit him. He badly wanted to make her feel what he felt since he was young. "Why do you do this?" he wiped the blood off his cheek. It burned. He was hurt. Mentally and psychically. His mother didn't answer him. "Your the reason why I'm this way" he snarled. Before she could say anything he ran out in New York's winter air. No one cared about him. It was that simple. And that crushed him.

Carl told Kat dinner was in ten and Damon had no patience for lateness. She should also be dressing very nice. She gave him a confused look but nodded. "Are you coming to get me? I don't know where I am if you forgot" she smiled. Damn was the cake really working? He figuratively pat himself on the back. He exited the room and it was only a few more minutes until he was back in her room.

He studied her black dress that sculpted her curves in the dreary light. It was enough to make him feel things. She giggled "What the hell are you looking at?" Carl sighed, oh by the Angel this  is too easy. He needed to ask how long the potion would work on Kat. Oh shit. Wasn't it permanent? "Now your not saying anything what's wrong?" she pressed. "Come on let's go to dinner" he grinned, taking her arm in his. She giggled. 

The potion. Dear God it had a ridiculous effect, she wasn't anything like the Kat he knew. She was giggling at absolutely nothing when Carl smiled at her. He didn't want this! He wanted Kat. But Deliah on the other hand...He looked over at her and she was already looking at him. She gave a wink and flirtatious smile. Something forbidden stirred in Carl. He felt something for Deliah. Since the first moment he saw her. 

KATS POV

She was thinking of Will at the dinner table. Something surfaced to her mind for some reason "Kat I prefer to be honest with you but there are some things you shouldn't know about me." She giggled out loud. Silly boy, she thought. What a dumb friend she had. Could she even trust Will? Damon, next to Will's sister at the front of the table said: "How are you, Kat?" There was something quizzical about his expression, she missed that. Her emotions were bubbling with erratic happiness, making her oblivious to things. "Oh I'm wonderful" she laughed. Kat caught Damons confusing look towards Carl. She asked "What's wrong Carl?" He didn't look at her. He shook his head. "Is she your wife?" Kat questioned, she leaned forward and the split in her chest opened, revealing her cleavage. She felt Carl's eyes there as quickly as they shot away, she suppressed a giggle. Damon dropped his fork "Her?" He motioned to Deliah who had her brown eyes drawn to Carl. He was staring back. Something about this was very wrong. She felt very upset, her happiness becoming anger. "Oh no she's my girlfriend, we haven't become that committed" he cut into his steak, adding: "Yet." Carl coughed and Deliah smiled, rolling her eyes. "Darling I'd rather not marry your too consumed with your evil plans" she gave him an admiring smile which didn't help the way his face contracted in anger. "Oh you ought to marry him!" Carl chided. Kat laughed "Ought?" He shot her a playful look of mock anger. "Come Carl I want to show you something" she stood and Carl didn't hesitate for a second. When they left it brought a nerving silence in the grand dining room. "Soo" Kat dug into her beans, no longer hungry. "So what?" he said easily. She could tell he was holding back the harshness in his voice. "Deliah is Will's aunt?" He brushed it off "Doesn't matter." "Carl gave you a potion to fall in love with him" he said in a conversational tone. Kat didn't know what the meant, shielded by the potions evil magic. "What do you want from Shadowhunters? Why do you kill people?" He laughed "I want the cup, I want to rule everyone. I want an army." Kat noted that he wanted a lot of things he could not have. She wouldn't dare say that out loud. "Well thanks for dinner I'm going to bed."