Chapter 12

It was a matter of luck, borne from desperation.

Sapphire was the first to wake, pain rushing over her and the darkness wound around her like an enemy despite her having grown up in it. The air had been filled with settling dust, heavy like extra weights.

Felix was next, breathing in sharply when he couldn't move his body at all. His sight was gone, and he half expected to hear the bitter sweet voice and the horrible touches of a dead girl.

Xeno coughed like he'd been drowning. He frantically searched the darkness, the heavy stone crushing his legs, for his fix eared girlfriend but they must have been separated in the chaos.

Ivan was trapped by a stone piece larger than a car. He would have been squashed if it hadn't been for the metal frame of the ceiling twisting jaggedly over his chest. He could see how unstable it was, a mere twitch of his fingers might jave brought it down himself.

Ash and Jack find themselves just inches apart. Both girls were coated in layers of dust and dirt, and divided by a broken door frame that served as a savior for both of them.

Noah winced as he struggled beneath several pounds of rubble and ruin. Blood dropped from his nose, the spin back in time had saved his own skin, just barely. His clothes were torn and he might have broken his arm, but considering the alternative-- a long way down into empty drifting space and a sudden end in a hug from twisted iron broken spikes and concrete-- he supposed it was better.

Jax is the last to wake, like everything had been a bad dream. When his eyes peel open, strained by the crushing darkness, and sticky from dried blood of a wound on his forehead, he can see a foot. Felix's? Whoever's it is, Jax seems to be saved by an extensive rack of industrial lights. Glass hovers all around him.

Dumb luck helped them survive the cave in.

Whatever brought them here-- Destiny? Fate? A series of Unfortunate events?-- it wasn't done with them yet.

***

Start Main Chain here! :)