ZERO

"Jesus fucking Christ, Mary!" My PE teacher shouted from across the football field, "What have you done?!"

The penetrating sound of profanities drawn from the lips of a teacher, a well-respected and well-mannered one at that, shut the entire class up at once. I looked around in horror, frantically scanning the faces of my classmates that surrounded me. Every single pair of eyes, more than I could count on both hands, burned holes into me, their expressions a mixture of disgust, fear, and disbelief as I stood over the lifeless body of poor Jimmy Dean. 

At the young age of only thirteen, Jimmy was already one of the most athletic kids in school. He was particularly great at football and soccer, way better than I would ever be. He was competitive but not a sore loser, a real team player in every sense of the word. Even on his worst day, Jimmy could outrun every single one of us. Everyone, teachers included, believed he would join a professional team one day, his face to be plastered on TV stations across the nations as his team would inevitably win the SuperBowl. 

His face would indeed be plastered on every TV station across the nation, but not for the reasons anyone had expected. 

I'll never forget the weight and the ribbed texture of the ball he'd thrown at me just moments before, not to mention the the look of encouragement he offered me when I almost managed to drop it but caught it at the last second. I wasn't terrible at sports, I just didn't care for it. 

My eyes, wild and brimming with tears, followed those of my horrified classmates down to the boy that I'd been tossing a football with less than five minutes ago, and my stomach churned in protest at what I saw. I didn't even notice the fact that I was already crying, or that my teeth were chattering in the 100-degree heat. I didn't feel the sun's blistering heat bearing down on the back of my neck. 

Unable to grasp fully what I had done to the boy, I stood completely frozen in place. My blood ran cold, and all color drained from my face. A car rushed by far beyond the gates that enclosed the field, the sound of its engine causing goosebumps to erupt all over my arms. 

I never meant for this to happen.

Dark, thick blood poured in two solid streams from Jimmy's nose. It slid down his cheek and pooled beneath his head, staining the artificial grass.  The sun reflected in the whites of his eyes, which had turned a sickly shade of bright crimson. His eyelashes looked damp and clumped together as he stared up at the sky with a lifeless expression,  making him look like a doll in one of those horror movies my dad never allowed me to watch. The sight was gruesome but I couldn't look away. 

It was as if though Jimmy was looking straight at me, begging me to tell him why on earth I did what I'd done. He just laid there in the grass, staring at me with eyes so vacant and cold that a chill ran along the entirety of my spine. A loud, animalistic scream broke my trance, and the cries of my classmates soon pervaded the previously still air. Left and right, hockey sticks and footballs were dropping to the ground, their dull thuds punching me right in the abdomen.