TWO

The stranger carried an umbrella in his hand as if it were a weapon

The stranger carried an umbrella in his hand as if it were a weapon. The broadness of his shoulders and his height intimidated me, but as the initial shock of his sudden appearance wore off, the sight failed to intimidate me. After all, what was he going to do with that thing, beat the both of us over the head with it? Stab us with it? Hardly.

"Thor, you can put down the umbrella now," Stephen said calmly, "Your brother is a threat. I did what I had to do." 

Thor. I'd heard that name before. Read about it in that Norse mythology book. What are the odds of that, I thought to myself. I just finished reading it, and now two of the main characters show up in real life? Knowing Stephen, it was hardly a coincidence. That man left nothing to chance. 

"Thor?" I asked under my breath, "I thought he was supposed to have red hair?" 

Stephen teleported the three of us to his study. Thor wobbled on his feet, clearly caught off guard by Stephen's tricks. It became obvious that the two of them had never met before, and I didn't like their apparent hostility toward one another one bit.

"So, New York has wizards now," the big guy said as he knocked over one of Stephen's ancient artifacts, sending the thing flying to the ground in a hundred small pieces, "how interesting."

I quickly rushed towards where he stood and began putting the bits back together before he could do any further damage to the priceless item. He'd stopped looking at me at least, which was a good thing. That odd feeling I experienced in the hallway disappeared when he went on to pretend I didn't exist but had instead been replaced by tension in the air that continued to cause shivers to slither down my spine. 

"Master of the mystic arts, actually," Stephen said smugly as he crossed his arms over his chest. 

"Alright, wizard. Who are you, and why should I care?" Thor asked. 

He shamelessly eyed Stephen up and down. 

"My name is Dr. Stephen Strange, and I have some questions for you that I'd like you to answer. Please, take a seat," he offered.

Stephen teleported the three of us to his office, where his magic pushed the big man down in one of his brown leather chairs. I silently stood on Stephen's left. The man himself had taken a seat in the chair which stood beneath the large window that looked out into the bustling street below. 

"Tea?" Stephen offered Thor with false kindness. 

"I don't drink tea," Thor returned smugly.

He looked down at his right hand, momentarily amazed by the fact that there seemed to be a steaming hot cup of tea inside of his palm. I chuckled at his surprise but quickly composed myself. God of thunder or not, I wanted him out of the Sanctum as quickly as possible, and Stephen clearly felt the same way. This man was not our friend, that much was clear.