42.

Chunks of partially digested food made their way up my esophagus as I ran from the bedroom I shared with Thor to the adjacent bathroom

Chunks of partially digested food made their way up my esophagus as I ran from the bedroom I shared with Thor to the adjacent bathroom. Without flicking on the lights first, I sank down on my knees in front of the toilet bowl and heaved, allowing the contents of my contracting stomach to travel upwards and plunge into the bowl. 

My eyes teared up as my stomach acid burned in my throat and the stench that followed made me gag all over again, this time, allowing more bile to make its way out of my body. I didn't hear Thor making his way into the bathroom, because there was a loud ringing noise in both of my ears, but when I felt his hand on my lower back, I knew it was him. 

He grabbed a handful of my hair and held it out of my face, allowing me to see the contents of the toilet bowl more clearly now. I gagged once more, but this time, only clear liquid made it through my mouth. I'd purged everything there was to throw up, leaving me on my bare knees, dry heaving against the rim of the toilet. In between, I gasped for air I desperately needed, noticing chunks of vomit had made their way up my nose as well. Yuck. 

Just as I felt like I was going to choke, my stomach stopped contracting so awfully violently, allowing me to reach up and flush the toilet without thinking twice while taking big gulps of air. I wiped my mouth and nose off on my sleeve and sank down against the wall, the disgusting taste of vomit evident on my tongue when I licked the dryness off my lips. I held onto the porcelain bowl with both hands to keep myself steady and spat into it in a poor attempt to get rid of the vile taste, watching with squinted eyes as Thor left the room. 

My shoulders shook horribly and my hands trembled, my chest heaving heavily up and down in exhaustion. The tears that ran down my cheeks had crystallized on my skin, two tiny patches of salt now being the only reminder they had ever been there. My eyes, rimmed red and bloodshot, closed when the coolness of the tiles against my back relieved the temporary stress. 

I barely managed to sit up straight, dry heaving into the toilet twice more before I could do anything to stop it. Whatever I'd consumed, my stomach wanted it out and wouldn't stop until every last bit had left my system. 

I hissed when Thor came back, loud footsteps thumping across the floor when he entered the bathroom. I was glad he didn't flick on the lights, because the horrible vomiting I'd done was nothing compared to the intensely dull throbbing in my head. 

The giant man bent down beside me, his back hitting the wall when he sank down on the floor. He pushed a glass of water in my hands. It felt cold going down and the taste of vomit was evident as I swallowed every last drop, but the relief it offered was enough for me to hand back the glass, motioning for more. I didn't have to ask, because Thor had already turned on the faucet, filling up the glass to the brim a second time. His hand came down on my knee and began rubbing it in circles while I drank, his fingers gently dancing on my skin to offer a distraction.