ONE

ACT I

ACT I.

"Uhm, doctor?" I asked quietly, holding the stack of books with both arms close to my chest.

"Mary, how many times have I told you to call me Stephen?" 

Stephen Strange raised his brow and peeked up at me from behind the book he was reading. Every square inch of his desk was covered in papers, quills, and small knick-knacks, including a bronze monkey statue that he had found in Italy and a pair of binoculars made in 1786. Each of Stephen's little artifacts meant something to him, including the house we currently resided in. 

"Probably a million times," I admitted with an awkward smile, "sorry."

I placed the three books that I had finished earlier that morning on top of Stephen's desk and carefully eyed him, awaiting a reaction. His face, however, remained stoic. 

Stephen got up out of his big leather chair. His hair, dark brown with soft strands of light grey, had gotten longer than I'd ever seen it. It had gotten so long that it would occasionally fall in his face and obscure his eyes, just like it did now. 

To be completely honest, I had no fucking clue why the man was still single. Besides the simple fact he could perform the most difficult spells in the blink of an eye, Stephen also had quite the looks. I hated the idea of him spending the rest of his days alone with me in this godforsaken house. He never spoke much about his love life, but judging by the fact that I could almost always find him inside his study bent over a manuscript or two, I'd say it was lackluster. 

I'd tried on many occasions to get him to meet women by setting him up with blind dates all across the city through a plethora of dating apps. Still, Stephen always seemed more interested in practicing and perfecting his magic than in getting acquainted with a person of the opposite sex. To each their own, I suppose. I had no right to say anything. I'd never even been on a real date before. 

"Is there any particular reason why you came to me in my study, Mary?" He asked, one eyebrow still raised while the other was safely tucked behind that lock of dark, long hair of his.

"I finished all of these," I said, pointing towards the books filled with Norse mythology, ancient symbolism, and occultism, "this morning, but I didn't want to disturb you earlier."

"Any of them that stood out to you in particular?" He asked, seemingly lost in thought. 

Stephen always looked to be genuinely pleased with me when I'd finish the books he wanted me to read. I had a feeling he appreciated my dedication to my studies, even though sometimes I didn't understand why I busied myself with topics such as Ancient Eastern medicine, Wicca, and the Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn. Today, however, he seemed to have a lot on his mind because the usual glimmer of excitement and eagerness in his eyes was nowhere to be found.

"I liked the one on Norse Mythology. Oh, and the Da Vinci Code," I replied, "not sure why you wanted me to read fiction, though. Although I suppose Norse mythology is just as much fiction as the Da Vinci Code is."