THREE

Before I could protest any further, all three of us were shoved through the portal by an invisible hand

Before I could protest any further, all three of us were shoved through the portal by an invisible hand.  We all fell down into the grass, gasping for air as we tried to catch our breaths after the fall. While I lay there on the ground, chest heaving in rapid motion, I could feel the softness of the grass beneath my fingertips and taste the crispness of the air I breathed in.

The portal disappeared before I even had time to stand up, leaving nothing but nature stretched as far as the eye could see. Judging by the scenery, we had left the Sanctum Sanctorum and New York City far behind us. 

"No!" I shouted out while I desperately tried to find another portal back to the city somewhere in the empty field. 

It seemed like for the time being I was stuck with two strangers hundreds of miles away from the place I called home, and thus, hundreds of miles away from safety. Fear pricked under my skin and settled into my bones as my fingers tightened around the strands of grass in my palms. 

My eyes fell upon the figure of an old man with white hair, standing still at the edge of a seemingly very deep ledge. Both men beside me followed my gaze and immediately, their body language confirmed what I already suspected; they had found their father. 

Thor took no time stomping towards him, while his brother was still trying to get up off the ground. I decided not to follow them and instead stayed seated with my legs crossed to show my respect. Whatever conversation they were about to have, it was not my place to invade their space. Besides, the sooner the three of them worked out their little family feud, the sooner I would be able to go home. I was going to give Stephen a piece of my mind the second I walked through those doors, that I knew. 

I put my head in my hands and rubbed my eyes, praying to God that when I would open them again, I'd be lying in my bed back at the Sanctum. I hoped that it was all just a bad dream, that all of this was nothing but a figment of my imagination, but deep down in my gut, I knew better. When I opened my eyes and saw the previously blue sky above my head turn a light shade of grey, I knew I wasn't dreaming. I really was in Norway, and my only means of going back were standing at the edge of the cliff, talking to their apparently estranged father.

I couldn't believe Stephen had essentially forced me to join two Norse Gods halfway across the globe to find their dad. Hell, I hardly fathom the fact that either of them actually existed. Why on earth Strange felt the need for me to be present for their little family reunion was beyond me, and I hated the thought of him sitting in his lounge chair, grinning at himself at this very moment. The cocky bastard. 

I could hear the three of them talking but the wind blowing in my ears drowned out their voices, preventing me from picking up any distinguishable words. They sat down on a huge piece of rock, all three of them tightly squeezed together. They talked for several minutes while I sat in the grass, grasping the slightly damp strands and tugging at them to keep myself grounded.