41.

Sadness hung over the facility like a cloud

Sadness hung over the facility like a cloud. Natasha sat around the dining table, a bowl of cereal with milk in front of her. Swishing her spoon around in it, she had her free hand underneath her chin for support. She clearly hadn't combed her hair and she wasn't wearing any make up, although smudged pieces of mascara sat underneath her lower lash line. 

Bruce ate his ham and cheese sandwich by the counter in silence, his eyes down on the cutting board while he absentmindedly took sips of his coffee between bites. Eggs were boiling on the stove beside him, but nobody made an effort to stop the bubbling water by turning off the gas and pouring them into a glass of cold water to cool off. 

Thor sat beside me on my right. His left hand sat firmly on my upper thigh, squeezing it gently every few seconds as he ate his Pop Tarts. I'd offered him a cup of tea, but then remembered he didn't drink tea, so I'd poured him a cup of coffee that was now slowly turning cold instead. I quietly sipped my own coffee with almond milk, afraid to look at Steve, who sat on the opposite seat sulking in his own misery.

He looked dreadful. With his normally flawless hair disheveled, dark circles under his eyes and his shoulders slumped down against the back of the chair, everyone in the room could tell he was hurting; the man was grieving the loss of his best friend in the company of people who couldn't comfort him on account of their own sorrow. 

"Is nobody going to ask where Tony is?" James asked, finally breaking the silent tension. 

He put down the newspaper he held in his hands, grimacing at the front page news that would undoubtedly continue to be the top story for weeks to come. There'd been an extra ten pages added to it for the obituary, yet there still didn't seem to be enough room for all the condolences and missing persons reports. The real estate section had been cut out, but it didn't really matter. Finding a real estate agent alive and willing to work now would be hard.

"I think it's pretty clear where Tony is," Natasha spat. I'm not sure whether she felt resentful towards him or sad, but the tone in her voice made it abundantly clear; she was very upset. 

"We can't know for sure," Thor replied.

"Well then I suggest you go find him, mighty Thor." She said angrily.

"Guys," I interjected, "Please. We don't need to be arguing right now. We're all hurting, okay? The last thing we need is to push each other away. We need to figure out how we're going to fix this." 

My blood began to boil when nobody answered me. I gawked around the room searching for a sign that at least one person agreed with me, but when nobody made an effort to speak up, I tossed my copy of the paper on the dining table with a dull smack, nearly knocking over my coffee in the process.