How To #10 - How To Hint To Senpai That You Like Them

How to Hint to Senpai That You Like Them

Whether you have a crush on a close friend, or you just like a boy in one of your classes, it's hard to tell a guy how you feel. Luckily, you don't have to lay it all out on the line to get him to ask you out. You can use various methods to try to drop hints about your interest in him. Use the right body language, find excuses to spend time with him, and get the conversation going in the right direction.

Method One of Three:
Using Flirtatious Body Language

1
Make eye contact as much as possible. Whenever the two of you are talking, always look him in the eye. This will show that all of your attention is fixed on him. When someone else says something funny, try to catch his eye again while you laugh. The eye contact will make him feel like you two are sharing the joke.[1]
Don't stare at him from across the room. This may come across as creepy. Instead, if your eyes happen to meet, give him a small smile and then look away.

2
Laugh at his jokes. Don't laugh at every single thing he says, but laugh when it's clear he's trying to be funny. Make sure it sounds natural though so it doesn't seem like you're faking it. If he's trying to make a joke that isn't very funny, offer him a smile so he sees you're enjoying listening to him.[2]
Don't feel like you have to laugh at a joke you find offensive. It's more important to stick to what you believe in than to make him feel good about himself.

3
Sit close to him. When you have the opportunity, pull your chair close to his or scoot closer to him on a bench. Try to get just inside his "personal zone," which is about 18 inches (45 cm) away. Don't get too much closer than this unless you notice signs that he likes it. Look to see if he leans in close to talk to you or if he seems to be leaning away from you.

4
Touch him casually when talking or laughing. Whenever the two of you are chatting, find small reasons to touch him. If he says something funny, place your hand on his arm for a moment while you're laughing. Don't linger too long though since he may not want you just hanging on to him.
Try letting out a small gasp, as if you just remembered something, and grabbing his arm or shoulder as you tell him what it is.
Avoid touching his leg unless the two of you are close friends. This is a much more personal action that may come across too strong if you don't know each other well.

Method Two of Three:
Spending Time with Him

1
Show up to his extracurricular activities. If he plays a sport or is in a band, go to one of his games or performances. Make sure you stick around for awhile afterward to say hi so that he knows you were there. Showing your support for the things he works hard at will help get the message across that you're interested in him.[5]
Only go to things he told you about or are common knowledge. Don't show up at something you discovered by reading all his Facebook comments.

2
Lend him a book or movie. If there's a book or movie that you really enjoyed, ask him if he's read or seen it. If not, lend it to him and tell him you want to know what he thinks of it. This will show you were thinking of him, and it will give you a good conversation starter the next time you see him.[6]
If it's a movie, you could also invite him over to watch it with you. This is a good casual way to find out if he wants to spend extra time with you.

3
Bring him food or a drink. Does he have one snack or beverage that you always see him with? Maybe there's a certain soda he drinks every afternoon, or he's constantly eating potato chips. If you know you're going to see him, show up with two - one for him and one for you. That way it looks like you thought of him, but not that you went out of your way just to get it for him.

4
Ask him to teach you something. If he plays video games but you don't, ask if you can come over to his place sometime so he can teach you how to play. If he plays golf, tell him you want to learn how to swing a club. The request will flatter him and buy you an opportunity to get closer to him.[8]
If he says no but doesn't have a good reason, this may be a sign that he doesn't return your feelings.

Method Three of Three:
Talking to Senpai

1
Talk to him about his interests. Whether he's into sports, video games, movies, or books, talk about these subjects with him. Show him you have an interest in the things that make him who he is. If you don't know anything about these subjects, do a little research. You don't have to be an expert, just learn enough to start a conversation.[9]
Read the highlights from his favorite team's most recent game, then ask him if he caught any of it.
Research upcoming video games that will be released soon and ask him if he plans to buy one of them.
Don't lie and pretend you know more than you do about these things. Be honest and say something like, "I don't know much about it, but it looks cool."

2
Follow up on things you've talked about before. Show him you pay attention to what he says. Whenever you see him, ask him about something you discussed the last time you were together. If he said he had a big math test coming up, ask him how he did on it. If he mentioned his dog was sick, ask something like, "Hey, is Bella feeling any better today?"

3
Compliment him. Don't pepper him with compliments every time you see him, but find small ways to fit them in. If he shows up wearing a shirt that looks new, or he seems more dressed up than usual, tell him he looks nice. Or, if he has a favorite t-shirt he wears a lot, tell him you like it with a simple "That's such a great shirt."
Compliments don't always have to be about appearances. Tell him he has great taste in music or that he's a good artist.

4
Ask for his advice. Showing him you trust and respect his opinion is a good way to hint that you like him. Ask him something trivial, like, "What movie should I watch this weekend?" or ask something more serious, like, "How should I deal with this fight with my friend?" Be sure to follow up with him the next time you see him and tell him how it went.

5
Text or email him about something that reminded you of him. Find a funny photo or gif and text it to him, saying "This made me think of you." You'll show him not only that you think of him while you're apart, but also that you associate humor with him.
It doesn't have to be funny. Pick an interesting article online and send him the link, saying something like, "This reminded me of our conversation yesterday."

6
Come out and say you like him. If all else fails, don't be afraid to just be honest. Maybe he has trouble picking up on hints, or maybe he's too shy to make the first move. Try simply saying, "Hey, I really like you, do you want to go out sometime?"
If he says no, tell him that's ok. Say something like, "Never hurts to ask," then smile and start talking about something else.