Sweets and Treats #10 - Manjū

Manjū (pronounced mahn-joo) is a Japanese dessert similar to mochi, but made with flour instead of rice. Traditionally, it contains sweet bean paste.

Prep Time: Overnight + 1 hour
Cook Time: 2-3 hours
Total Time: Overnight + 4 hours
Servings: 1 batch

Ingredients
1 pound lima beans
2 1/2 cup sugar
Dash of salt
Water (as needed)

STEP 1
Soak lima beans in water overnight, or at least 6 hours.

STEP 2
Remove tough outer skin. Although it is a tedious process, it ensures a smooth bean paste.

STEP 3
Change water before cooking. Don't start off cooking the beans using too much water (beans retain water easily).

STEP 4
Cook beans over low heat for at least 1 hour until beans are soft and easily mashable. Make sure to use enough water so the beans do not scorch. Stir often to prevent burning.

#SpoonTip: If you have a slow-cooker, you can use that instead.

STEP 5
Drain water and put beans in a food processor, or mash, to eliminate lumps and pieces until you achieve a smooth paste. The paste should retain some water.

STEP 6
Add a dash of salt and the 2 ½ cups of sugar. Mix thoroughly. Paste will become more watery.

STEP 7
Simmer over low heat for about 1 hour (cooking times may vary), stirring constantly, until the paste becomes dry enough to reach a thick consistency. The paste should be dry enough to be manipulated with hands to form a ball shape (aim for a moist cookie dough consistency).

STEP 8
Alternatively, you can put the bean paste in the microwave at 4 minute intervals until the consistency is reached.

STEP 9
Let it cool. The shiro-an will continue to dry a bit more after cooling.

STEP 10
The recipe can be doubled if desired. Shiro-an can last up to 6 months in the freezer. Thaw overnight in the fridge before use.

Manjū Dough
Prep Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Servings: About 3 dozen pieces

Ingredients
1 1/4 stick butter (melted)
3/4 cup evaporated milk
2 cup sugar
4 eggs
6 cup flour
2 teaspoon baking soda
1 egg, egg yolk, milk (egg wash)

STEP 1
Cream butter, sugar, eggs, and evaporated milk.

STEP 2
Add flour and baking soda. Mix. The batter should be the consistency of a soft cookie dough.

STEP 3
Flour a clean surface liberally. With floured hands, place dough on surface and shape into a log approximately 5 inches long.

STEP 4
Using a pastry cutter, slice off 1 inch pieces.

STEP 5
With the dough, flatten out and form an oval shape big enough for the shiro-an to fit.

STEP 6
Carefully fit the dough over the shiro-an oval and pinch the ends together.

STEP 7
Be careful not to let the dough rip. It helps to cradle the ball of dough in one hand and close the ends together with the other hand.

#SpoonTip: You may need to reform the ovular shape of the manjū.

STEP 8
Place the manjū about 2 inches apart from each other. Brush with the egg wash. Bake at 400ºF for 10 minutes or until lightly golden brown.