Sweets and Treats #9 - Dango

Try a deliciously sweet and chewy festival favourite with this easy three colour dango dumplings recipe. Cute and colourful, these sweet dumplings consist of sweetened rice flour and water made into a paste and moulded into bite-size balls. This traditional Japanese dessert is the perfect finishing touch to a Japanese-inspired afternoon tea.

Ingredients

160g joshinko non-glutinous rice flour
40g shiratamako glutinous rice flour
60g sugar
200ml hot water
1 tsp matcha green tea powder
red food colouring

How To Prepare

Mix together the joshinko non-glutinous rice flour, shiratamako glutinous rice flour and sugar. Add the hot water little by little, mixing well until the mixture takes on the consistency of an earlobe. This is the traditional way to describe the perfect texture for your dango mixture.
Cover the bowl you mixed your dango mixture in and microwave for 3 minutes. Using damp hands or alternatively a dampened pestle from a suribachi, knead the dough.

Divide the dough into thirds. Add the food colouring to one third and the matcha to another third. The last one will be left as is. If the matcha powder is too hard to combine, add a little water to the matcha powder to make a paste before mixing in.

Dampen your hands again and roll the dough into 6 evenly sized balls for each colour. Thread one of each colour onto a bamboo skewer and serve as a sweet treat.

Tips and Information

- If your mixture is a bit too crumbly after heating, just add a bit more hot water until becomes soft and bouncy again.

- You might be able to find the joshinko non-glutinous rice flour in asian groceries under the name of rice powder.