we have to study!

Mike was a good kid. 

He was the kid who was always at the front of the class, answering every question with ease. He was the kid every person wanted to pair with on a project because he knew everything.

Eleven was an incredible student. 

She had a newfound passion for school and learning in general. She drank in information like a traveler drinking water after being in the desert for a month.

At sixteen, the two of them had just completed almost all of their final tests. After a little over a month of avoiding one another to fall asleep over textbooks, school was back to normal. El and Max stood by the lockers, just having finished math. 

"So, you and Lucas?" El asked, causing her best friend's cheeks to match the color of her hair. 

"We, uh. I stayed at his yesterday." At this, El's eyes widened before bursting into laughter.

"So that's why you two have been disgustingly cute together today!" El cackled at this point, actually clutching her stomach as Max playfully punched her shoulder.

"And what, you and Mike haven't done it?" Max asked, to which El shook her head. This time, it was El's turn to blush.
"Come on, seriously?" She gasped, and El laughed softly. 

"Nope. I mean, I've hardly seen him for a month. Our make-out sessions have been far and in-between," El sighed jokingly. "But you know, Mrs. Wheeler had him on house arrest for study time and I've been revising like crazy." She explained, to which Max nodded.

El opened up her locker to grab her lunch when a note flittered down from inside. She looked at Max in confusion, who just snickered. 

"Wasn't me."

She leaned down to pick up the note, brushing back the curls that had fallen in her eyes. It was only small, but she smiled as soon as she saw the handwriting. 

Hey, Ellie ♡

Am I okay to come to yours later? I sorta made up a bullshit excuse for the guys, I wanna spend some time with you :)

Love, your boy xx

She grinned from ear to ear at the note, quickly putting it in her pocket and shutting the locker door again. Max simply raised an eyebrow at her friend, leaned against her own locker. 

"We're just studying."
"Famous last words."

El hit her friend's shoulder before the two left for lunch. 

The two girls walked into the cafeteria, immediately spotting the party from across the hall. They made their way to the table, sitting down with soft 'Hi's' and 'Hello's'. Mike smiled widely at his girlfriend, moving over to make some space for her next to him. As she sat down, his arm wrapped around her shoulders. She chuckled, leaning on his shoulder and kissing his neck sweetly. He smiled at the sensation, kissing the top of her head. 

She was wearing a dress she'd been given by Max's mom for Christmas last year. El had been shocked at the kind gesture. 

"I'm just thankful Max has such a lovely friend who's a girl. She's never really been one for friends, and you're a sweet girl. Thank you, El sweetheart. I know I've not been there for her very much, but she never stops talking about you."

It was pretty, a short white dress that looked quite indie and flowed behind her. Hopper said she looked like a hippie, but she loved it. The sleeves rested on her upper arms, exposing her shoulders. It was probably her favourite dress.

"Missed you. How's your day been?" He asked gently, moving a little closer. 

"Missed you too. It's been okay. Max was grilling me earlier because of her and Lucas." El faked a barf, making her boyfriend laugh quietly. Lucas, Max, and Dustin were arguing about a science answer. Will just sat quietly, sketching up some forgotten homework for art class. 

The pair conversed to themselves softly, just being in a bubble which blocked out everything else.

"So, Ellie dearest." Max's voice brought her back to Earth, breaking El's eye contact with Mike. He reached for her hand under the table, making her smile widely, then hold his hand in hers. 

"Maxine, dearest." El mimicked, raising a testing eyebrow. Max rolled her eyes, while Will actually looked up from his page. His sister wasn't usually one for joking, but she'd come out of her shell around Max. She didn't really have much choice around the loud girl.

"One, don't call me that, and two, what'cha studying tonight?" She asked, smirking mischievously. El could see Lucas's hand on her thigh under the table, making her want to throw up or at least pretend to. She rolled her eyes, squeezing her boyfriend's hand.

"Human anatomy, oh wait, that's what you and Lucas were doing last night! My bad."

Dustin burst out laughing, Max flipping her off with her lip between her teeth. Will's eyes just widened in shock, but he had sort of seen it coming. Lucas choked on his food, and Mike just pulled his girlfriend closer to him, proudly. 

"El, you have three seconds to run."
"Calm yourself, Carrots."

El was on a roll, smirking mischievously as Max's eyes just sat widened. She was trying to stutter out a remark, or a retort, or anything to wipe the sly grin from El's face.

Mike shot his friend a wink, before leaning down to his beloved girlfriend's ear.

"You know? I wouldn't mind that." He whispered quietly, shooting a shiver down her spine. El's eyes immediately widened, mouth opening and closing ever so slightly like a goldfish as she looked up at him incredulously. 

"Uh, hello? What just happened?" Dustin asked, clearly confused. Max smirked, resting her back against Lucas's chest.

"Elle Hopper lost for words, who would've thunk it." Will muttered. When they looked towards the unresponsive couple, they were greeted with an empty place at the table.

"For fucks sake." Will groaned, banging his head on the desk. 

--

El's back pressed against the edge of the table, shutting and locking the door to the AV room with her powers. Mike's lips were against hers with a fiery passion she'd yet to witness, but she felt as if she was in heaven. Or hell. His lips were truly sinful.

A gasp fell from her mouth unvoluntarily, as her bottom lip was pulled slightly between his lips. One larger hand traced up along her thigh, to her waist, to sit on the small of her hips. El pushed him back a little, smirking to herself.

Mike stood there, leaned over tor each her lips. His untameable curls were a mess, a really sexy mess, from where she'd tugged at it and ran her hands though it as the kiss had progressed. His hazel eyes she found love and comfort in were blown wide with lust and passion, the entire eye looking almost entirely black and brown. The pale skin under his dark freckles was flushed a nice shade of pink, and his shirt was messy from where she'd pulled him to a kiss by the collar of his polo shirt.

All in all, he looked gorgeous in the dimmed light of the AV room.

"I love you, Michael Wheeler." 

It wasn't the first time it had been exchanged, but it hit Mike like a tonne of bricks. When sh had been missing, it had ben a dream to be able to walk her to every class and to put sweet little love-notes in her locker, but now it was real.

She was there, with him, where she belonged. 

"I love you too, Eleven." He whispered, noses brushing ever so slightly in an eskimo kiss. She giggled quietly, as he pressed a warm kiss to her cheek. Mike's heart swooped in his chest, and he knew. He was so fucking in love. 

The bell for class rang, pulling them from their little bubble. For a few seconds, it didn't compute, their eyes just still locked before they widened. 

"Shit!"