Chapter Two: Slow your roll, cowboy

Cody:

I walked through the varnished, dark mahogany doors of the Yale Office of Admissions. I hurried through the foyer as I quickly checked my watch. 1:55 p.m. I could not be late for this appointment with the Dean of Admissions. This was my last shot to impress. I stopped right before the doors, straightened my blazer and took a deep breath. I opened the doors to the big open office and stepped inside. As I walked toward the secretary’s desk, I could feel the pressure mounting. Inside, my brain was screaming. But I continued to keep my composure.

“Name?” she said to me, not looking up, turning 90 degrees to her left. Her desk had four sides, and for as big as it was, it was very well organized. After all, this is Yale.

“Cody Martin.” I squeaked. I cleared my throat.

“Please sit Mr. Martin; He will be with you in a minute.”

“Thank you.” A bland conversation, but I was too worried about the appointment to think about it much. I walked to the seating area, and took a seat. I looked up at the clock. 1:58. I let out a deep breath, and leaned back in my chair. I drummed my fingers on the armrest, my watch beeped and I jumped. I then realized that the Yale Office of Admissions looked a lot like my dentist and doctor’s waiting rooms.

“Cody Martin? He will see you now.” I got up, straightened my blazer again, and walked down the hall to a big open room where the dean was sitting behind his desk. Lionel Hageman was on a nameplate on the desk. He was a bigger man, with a salt and pepper beard. He looked as if he was sitting in something unpleasant, but forced to sit there all day. He looked up and put down his pen.

“Are you Cody Martin?”

“Yes sir. I am,” I reached out for a handshake. “It’s good to meet you, Mr. Hageman.”

“Yes, yes. Please sit.” I sat down on one of the two chairs in front of Mr. Hageman’s desk.

“Now Cody, looking at your… portfolio...” His voice trailed off. He stopped, looked at me, and took off his glasses.

“Cody, why exactly are you here?”

I got up and started to pace, using my hands to explain. “Mr. Hageman, with all due respect, sir, I’d like to understand why I didn’t get accepted into Yale. My friend, Bailey Pickett got accepted here, and I didn’t.” I turned to face him. “We got the same final scores, same grade point averages, and same SAT scores! Why didn’t I get in? We were co-valedictorians at graduation because our grades were the same!” After I finished, I paused for a moment, and replayed what just happened in my head. The thoughts came exploding out of me. I didn’t mean to sound as harsh as I probably just did. Mr. Hageman was silent for a moment. He then pushed his chair back, and pulled out a drawer in his desk. He pulled out 2 yellow portfolios, and laid them on the desk. He then stood up, and took a deep breath.

“Cody Martin, son of Carey and Kurt Martin. Zack Martin is your twin brother, and you’re originally from Boston, Massachusetts…” He came around from behind the desk, folders in hand. He hands me one of the folders in his hands. I took it, but was hesitant.

“Why are you asking me to--?”

“Just open it.

So I did. It was my portfolio I sent in when I applied a year ago. It had all my awards, records, grades, scores and achievements in it from kindergarten to senior year. I read the application.

“Cody Martin. Grade point average: 4.5 GPA. Achievements: Co-Valedictorian (Class of 2011), avid member in chess-” Mr. Hageman cut me off.

“Now look at this file.” He handed me the other file in his hand. He went back around his desk, sat down in his chair and leaned back in it.

“Go on, read it.”

I opened the file, and it was clear that my portfolio was superior to this Cody Martin. “Cody Martin. Grade Point Average: 2.62. Achievements: Best looking in my class...” I paused.

“No offense, but this kid applied to Yale?” Mr. Hageman nodded and chuckled. I think.

“By accident somehow, you got his rejection letter, and he got your acceptance letter. So,” Mr. Hageman stood up, clapped once and held out his right hand. “Welcome to Yale, Mr. Martin.”

“Oh man, thank you so much, Mr. Hageman! This is so great, I can’t express my gratitude to you. Thank you so much!” At that moment, I was the happiest I’ve been in my whole life. I stood up and shook his hand. My cheeks hurt from how big my smile was, but I didn’t care. I was accepted to Yale, and I couldn’t wait to tell Bailey.

Bailey:

“Can I help you?” I asked him. He smiled again.

“No, I just, wanted to meet you. I’m a junior here, and well, no one said I can’t make friends with a cute girl, right? He took a step closer to me.

“Slow your roll there, cowboy.” I said, taking a step back. “Are you from North Carolina?”

He smiled and nodded. “How’d you know?”

“Your accent kind of gives it away.” I laughed a little and so did he. “Well, I need to finish unpacking. I’ll see you around?”

He smiled and nodded. “See ya ‘round.”I closed the door and returned to unpacking my things. I started with the bathroom, but even unpacking was done in silence. And unpacking alone, just reminded me about how much I missed Cody. So, I found the box holding my iPod and my iHome, I plugged them in, and listened to my sweet country music.

KNOCK KNOCK KNOCK.

I paused the music, and opened the door.