Chapter Six: Rodney

Bailey:

Last night with Cody was amazing. I missed him so much, and he was so sweet. The date was pretty perfect too. We went to dinner, went on a walk, stargazed and watched movies.

Beep. Beeep. Beeeeep. BEEEEEEEEP!! I rolled over and slapped my phone. “Shut up…” I groaned as I rolled over and faced the window. I squinted at the sunlight shining through the aqua curtains. The sunrise was a light orange, with purple and hot pink highlights. I sat up and let out a content sigh. The smell of Belgian waffles, bacon and sausage crept into my room. “Mmmm!” I said to myself as I jumped out of bed and walked to the kitchen. There was Cody, back turned, making me breakfast. I smiled, crept up behind him, and slipped my arms around his waist.

“Good morning!” I said. He turned his head to look at me in all my shining glory in a bedhead.

“Good morning gorgeous.” He kissed my forehead, and then turned back to the omelet he was cooking. “I’m making an omelet for myself. I made you waffles, they are on the table.” I walked to the table, sat down and took a bite.

“Mmmmmm! Baby, these are great!” I took three more big bites. “What did you do?” I said with a mouthful.

“I put a teaspoon of vanilla into the batter.” Cody said setting down his plate next to me. “Would you like a glass of orange juice or a glass of milk, darling?”

“Milk, please. Thanks.” We sat together and ate breakfast, talking about school and schedules.

“So, when do you get your schedule?” I asked, taking a swig of milk.

“I get it Monday, and I start classes Wednesday.” He took a bite of his omelet.

“Where are you staying? And when are you moving in to your dorm?” I asked taking a bit of yummy waffle. He held up his index finger, he had to swallow. I smiled to myself. He’s such a gentleman. How did I get so lucky? I thought.

He swallowed and answered, “I’m moving into New Haven today actually. I called Mom, and she shipped all my stuff, so it should be here.” He finished his last bites of food. “What are you doing today?”

I shrugged. “Just finishing unpacking, I suppose.” I got up, walked around the table, gently wrapped my arms around his neck and set my chin on his shoulder. “I’m so happy you’re here. This is all I’ve wanted since graduation, and I can’t tell you how much I missed you.” He turned his head, and said, “I’m so excited to be here. And we’re going to finish what we started. We’re going to college, and the best part of it all, is that I’m here with you.” I leaned in to kiss him, but was interrupted by the doorbell.

DING DONG.

I let out a deep, heavy sigh and trudged to the door to open it.

“Hey baby….” He drawled.

Oh no.

Cody:

“Hey baby…”

I simply could not believe what I was hearing. His drawl was evil, and it instantly reminded me of Moose. I got angry, very quickly. I formed fists, trying to contain my anger. I slammed them on the table as I stood up. Bailey turned around, and she had a scared expression on her face. She ran towards me, and tried to stop me.

“Cody! Cody! Stop!” She was trying her best to stop me from moving forward, pushing me back. I yelled at the guy standing in the doorway.

“HEY! Who in the name of Elias McCarthy are you calling baby!??!?!!” I yelled. Bailey was pulling back on my arm, but I pulled it out of her grasp.

“Who the heck are you?!” I could feel a fire burning inside of me and a million thoughts were running amuck in my mind. I scrambled for an answer.  Now, this guy had biceps. He could most likely bench more than I could, but I wasn’t afraid. I was angered, and hurt. But, this guy isn’t the type that gets stood up to, just with all his big muscles and all.

“I’m Rodney. Who... are... YOU?” He said getting in my face, curling his fists.

I’m Cody, Bailey’s BOYFRIEND.” I got even closer to his face. “And I believe I asked you a question. Who do you think you are?!” I enunciated more and more sharply with every word.

“I get what I want, when I want it. I’m southern, with the deep accent, biceps, and the hunky good looks. Now, that I’ve answered your question, get out of my way, you scrawny little city boy.” He whispered sharply. “And. I. want. HER.” He raised his giant hand, and shoved me out of the way into the wall behind me and I fell to the floor. I got up, and that cowboy was holding MY Bailey. And that was the last straw. I lost it.

BAILEY!! ARE YOU CHEATING ON ME WITH THIS… COWBOY?!” She was trying to wrangle out of his grasp, but he was too strong for her. I looked at her eyes from where I was standing. She was scared, and she was crying.

“CODY! NO! I WOULD NEVER DO THAT TO YOU!”

Bailey:

“LET GO OF ME!” I screamed. No matter what direction I tried to twist myself out of Rodney’s grasp, he would not let go. So, I bit his hand. He screamed and let go.

“YOU BIT ME!” He yelled at me. I was scared. I was scared that I might lose Cody forever. He turned to run out the door.

“Cody! STOP! PLEASE!” He stopped and so did I. He turned to me, but not in the way I wanted him to. He opened his mouth to speak, but nothing came out. He turned away, exited the dorm, and slammed the door behind him. Tears came to my eyes, hard, heavy and fast. I turned around to look at Rodney.

“YOU.” I felt the tension in my voice more and more with every second I looked at the creep. “GET. OUT. NOW. I SWEAR IF I EVER SEE YOU AGAIN, I WILL CALL THE COPS, AND YOU WILL BE SENT TO JAIL!! I MEAN IT! GET OUT! I DON’T EVER WANT TO SEE YOUR SLIMY FACE AGAIN!”

He left without another word; I slammed the door behind him, and broke down in tears.

Cody:

I ran to the campus gym. I signed in, and went straight to the locker room, changed and entered the gym. I found the punching bag, hanging from the ceiling and I began to beat the crap out of that bag. Well, I guess that time flew by, and before I knew it, it was midnight, and I was still beating the crap out of that bag. There were so many questions unanswered, but all I wanted was a shower. I walked to my locker, opened it, and looked at my phone. 15 voicemails and 23 texts from Bailey. Then, my phone buzzed again.

One unread text from Zack.

I opened it.

Hey buddy. I got something to tell you.

I flipped open the keyboard and responded.

What’s up? Something wrong..?

I closed the phone and took off my moist shirt, sweaty socks and shoes. The phone buzzed again.

I opened the text, read it, gasped and dropped my phone on the floor.

Maya is pregnant.