Chapter Five: Airplanes

Maya:

I picked up my ticket, gathered my bags, and the worst part of today had arrived.

"Flight 728, boarding now. Flight 728, boarding now.” The flight attendant announced over the loudspeaker for the entire airport to hear. Zack squeezed my hand. I stood on my tip toes, kissed him, and pressed my forehead against his.

“Goodbye.” I whispered.  My eyes stung a little, but I had to be strong. He kissed my forehead, and whispered goodbye. I squeezed his hand one last time, and I walked through the airplane entrance door, turning to look at Zack one last time. I boarded the plane, my phone then buzzed in my pocket. It was from Zack.

I love you. <3

I smiled and texted him back.

Then, I realized something. This was no longer my dream. I didn’t want this as badly as I wanted to be with Zack, and I needed to get off this plane, NOW. I got up, opened the suitcase compartment, pulled it down, and hurried as fast as I could through the small cramped aisle to the flight attendant.

“Ma’am! Ma’am!” I tapped her shoulder. She turned to me.

“Yes, can I help you?”

I nodded vigorously. “Please ma’am. I need to get off this plane. Please.” I said panting. Her smile instantly turned into a forced fake one. “I’m sorry. But the doors are closed. No one is getting off this plane until we land in London.” She said. I wanted to break down and beg.

“Oh God, please! My boyfriend is going to war, and working in the Peace Corp in Africa is no longer what I want. Please!! What if I never see him again? Please. I’m begging you.”

She dropped the smile. “Ma’am, I need you to-”

I cut her off. “Please! What if someone you loved was going to leave and possibly never come home! Please!” She gave me a look, but I hoped with every fiber in my being that I would win this argument.

“Please... I love him.” I whispered as a tear fell down my cheek. She leaned close to me, and whispered, “Don’t tell anyone I did this.” She opened the door.

“Oh my God, thank you! Thank you!” I whispered and slipped out.

Zack:

I wasn’t going back home yet. Maya’s going to Africa, and I’m going to Afghanistan. I looked out the window and looked for Maya’s plane. It was taking off.

Maya’s on that plane, flying farther and farther away by the second.

I let out a deep sigh, and then my phone buzzed. I pulled it out of my pocket and looked at the screen. It’s from Maya.

I love you too. I'll call you as soon as I can.

I felt a tear fall down my cheek and I quickly wiped it away. I closed the message, grabbed my keys and headed out to the car. But I was stopped. There was a girl, sitting on her suitcase, her head in her hands. And I recognized that girl. It was Maya! I couldn’t believe it. At first, I didn’t believe it.

“Maya?” She looked at me, got up, and threw her arms around me. “What are you doing?! You’re supposed to be on a plane! Why aren’t you…? I don’t understand...” I said, holding onto her. She looked up at me. I stroked her cheek with my thumb.

“I couldn’t go. I know it sounds crazy. But it didn’t feel right. And it didn’t take too long for me to realize this is not my dream. My dream is to be with you wherever you need me to be.” She said taking my hand. I felt a tear fall, then another, and another and another. I quickly wiped them away with my free hand, but I wasn’t sad. I was touched by what Maya said. I wrapped my arms around her waist, and kissed her.

“C’mon. I’ll take you home.”