Chapter Seven: A familiar prankster

Zack:

Maya is pregnant.

I typed out and pressed send, trying to contain my laughter.

“Cody is going to be so freaked out.” I said to myself, waiting for a response. My phone then buzzed like crazy. I looked at the screen. Cody replied.

ZACK! ARE YOU CRAZY?!?!?!

I slid the keyboard open and texted him back.

No, don’t think so... Why?

I pressed send and put my phone back in my pocket. Not too much later, my phone buzzed again.

ZACK! YOU’RE NOT READY TO BE A FATHER!! WHAT’S MOM GOING TO THINK?! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS?!?! YOU NEED TO CALL ME. NOW!!!!

Clearly, this was a success, but it can’t go on for much longer. I opened the dialer, and called Cody.

“ZACH! HOW COULD YOU DO THIS?!” he yelled. He was yelling so loudly, I had to hold the phone away from my ear.

“Cody! Calm down!” I said trying to talk over him.

"No! I am not going to calm down!” He yelled back.

“You sound like an angry female.” I said.

“What--”

I cut him off. “Cody! I was joking! Maya isn’t pregnant! And she’s still in the states…” I said slowly. Cody then started to talk gibberish.

“You... She... But you’re... She isn’t... you’re not… Zach! I swear you’re going to be the death of me.” He muttered. “Well, what’s the news then?”

I didn’t want to tell him over the phone… I felt like with him as my brother, I should tell him in person. Maya was the only one who knew. And I still had to tell Mom. But I’d have to tell Cody soon… After a brief pause, I answered him. “Cody, how about we meet up tomorrow and I’ll tell you…”

Cody let out a sigh. “Yeah, alright. Where?” He asked me.

“Starbucks?”

Okay. 2:30?

“Sounds great,” I said. “Bye.”

“Bye."

Cody:

After Zach’s little prank, I wasn’t very excited to hear his news. It was probably something really, really insignificant, like, he set the world’s largest dirty socks pile record, or he played video games for 4 days straight. I arrived at the Starbucks, parked the car, went inside, and ordered a coffee. Then, sat down and waited for Zack. About 10 minutes later, he came and sat down at the table.

“Hey Zack. What did you order?” I asked him.

He let out a deep sigh. “Nothing.” Something was wrong. I knew Zack better than anybody. After all, I’m his twin...

“Bro, what’s wrong…?”

“Cody, I’m just going to come out and say it. I signed up for the military. And I’m shipping out Monday…” He said quietly. My stomach sank, and my heart broke. My brother was putting himself in danger for the safety of someone he doesn’t even know…

“Zack, I think that’s the most selfless thing I think you have ever done.” I said shaking my head, half not believing him, but so proud of him at the same time. We sat there for a second, unable of what to say next…

“What are you thinking?” He asked me leaning forward a little. I sighed and shrugged my shoulders.

“I don’t even know, Zack. I’m so proud of you, but…” I paused. “I don’t know.” We sat there in silence for a while, ordered a cup of Joe, and still sat there in silence. I looked at Zack. He was looking down, wringing his hands. I swallowed and asked him quietly, “Are you scared?” He looked at me, sat straighter and scoffed.

“Psh! No! I’m not scared! I bet you I could-” He stopped and looked down again. “Yeah, I am. But… If I don’t defend my country, who will?”

“What’s Maya going to think? Did you tell her?” I asked him.

“Yeah, I told her. She fell apart in my arms. She cried. I’d never seen her cry so hard before.” He was tracing a circle over and over again on the back of his hand. He does that when he’s upset.

“Have you told Mom?” I asked him again. I felt awkward asking all these questions. He shook his head.

“No… I was hoping you would help me.” He looked up at me. I got up, paid for my coffee and nodded.

“C’mon. Let’s go talk to mom.”