Chapter Twelve: The Moesby Wedding (Part 1)

Maya:

Someone knocked at the door of my apartment. Three seconds went by. They knocked again. Now, they were pounding at the door.

“Alright! I’m coming! Hold on!” I ran to answer the door. I opened it, unveiling Bailey and Cody standing there.

“Maya! What are you still doing in your pajamas?! We have to be at Ms. Tutweiller’s house in 15 minutes! Where is your dress?!” She asked rushing around my apartment.

“It’s in my room! Why are you rushing around grabbing all my stuff?” I yelled in the direction of the bathroom, where I’m assuming she was getting my makeup together. I walked to the bathroom and saw Bailey getting my makeup bag off the counter, toothbrush and hairbrush. I stopped her.

“Bailey! Stop. I’ve got it. What else do I need to get before you completely go bezerk?” She let my stuff go, and responded. “You need your dress, your earrings, your bracelet, your makeup, your toothbrush, hairbrush and deodorant.” She recited on her fingers, I could see she was completely frazzled. And this isn’t even her wedding…

“Okay, take a deep breath. Why don’t you go to the car, I will be down in a second.” She took a deep breath and nodded. “Okay.” I grabbed the last of my things, grabbed my keys and my cell, locked the door, and got in Cody’s car.

“Hey Maya.” Cody said as I got in.

“Hey Cody. How are you?” I asked leaning around the seat to look at his face in the rearview mirror. I saw him yawn.

“I don’t see why the groomsmen have to be up this early. All we have to do is shower and put on the suits and were good to go.” He looked at Bailey, but reached over and held her hand, still keeping his left hand on the wheel. Bailey said something, but I didn’t hear it. I was looking at them holding hands, and watching them, made me realize how much I missed Zack. I have to walk down the aisle with Joe, Ms. Tutweiller’s cousin. But it wasn’t all bad; I would finally get to see Woody, Addison, Marcus and London again. I was excited to see them.

“Maya!” Bailey yelled.

I was shook free of my lonely thoughts. “Uh, yeah? What?”

“I’m trying to talk to you.”

I glanced out the window and watched the little drops of rain streak downwards.

“I’m sorry. I am a little off today. I just miss Zack. I wish he was here.” I looked down at my left ring finger and fiddled with the gorgeous ring he had given me.

Bailey reached out and touched my arm, trying to comfort me. “Maya, I am so sorry. I know you feel.” But how could she? Cody is sitting right next to her right now. He’s driving this car, safe and sound. I don’t know whether Zack is alive or dead! All I can do is hope! How on earth can she understand how I feel?! The inside of me was screaming. I wanted to scream. I wanted to let it out. I didn’t want to pretend like I was fine. I wanted to let it all out and cry until I couldn’t cry anymore. But on the outside, I sat there and nodded. I pretended that I’m fine.

“Look, Maya, I’m sorry about this morning. I didn’t mean to set you off in any way. I know you’re missing Zack, and are worried about him, but if you need a hug or someone to talk to, I’m here for you.” Bailey took her arm off me and turned back around. We pulled into the church parking lot and saw Ms. Tutweiller standing outside by the door. Maya and I gathered our stuff, got out, Bailey kissed Cody goodbye, and we walked up the steps to the church. Ms. Tutweiller greeted us with a smile and pulled us in for a hug.

“Hi girls! Are you ready?” She led us inside to the Bride’s Quarters, and opened the door, inside was Addison and London were inside, doing their makeup and doing their hair. Addison ran up to hug me, and London waved.

“Hi! What’s going on! Ohmygosh, I missed you so much! How have you been? What have you been up to lately!? Ohmygosh, where do you work now? Ohmygosh, we should SO go out for lunch together sometime! I thi--,”

“Addison! One question at a time.” I smiled.

She smiled and nodded. I leaned around her, “Hey London.”

She waved, “Hellooooooooooo,” She held the ‘o’. “Don’t help me. It ends with ‘aya’.”

“Maya?” I suggested.

She wove her hand. “No, that’s not it.” I turned around and decided to let her try and think.

“Maya! You need to get your hair done.” Ms. Tutweiller said, sounding a tad frantic. Addison, London! Are you done?”

They nodded.

“Okay, London, I need you to take care of Maya’s hair, and Addison, please take care of Bailey.”

“I hate helping people!” London whined.

Cody:

I found my way to the groom’s quarters, knocked, and let myself in. Inside was Woody, Marcus, and Mr. Moesby.

“Woodster! Marcus!” I hugged the guys, congratulated Mr. Moesby and shook his hand.

“Oh, well, thank you Cody. I am kind of nervous.”

“No need! You’re going to do great! Where are you guys going for the honeymoon?” Marcus asked.

“Can I come?” I heard someone snicker behind me. I would know that voice anywhere, and I would know that laugh, along with the twisted sense of humor that came with it. I turned around, and before me, right there, was a sight for sore eyes.

Maya: 

The pastor came and knocked on the door. “Emma?” He said through the closed door. Bailey stopped doing her makeup and Addison stopped doing her hair for a second. She spoke up loudly so he could hear her.

“Yes?” Something slid across the floor underneath the door. I went over, and picked it up. They continued doing her hair and makeup. “It’s for you.” She looked at me.

“Who from?”

“I don’t know.” I replied, looking for a signed name.

“Read it.” She turned her face back to Bailey and Addison continued to curl.

“My love,” I began. “Out of all the women I have showed my pocket hanky collection, you were the only one who was by far the most impressed. Ha-ha, get it it? ImPRESSED?”

Ms. Tutweiller laughed. “Go on.”

“Since that day, I knew somehow, someway we would be together. I love you more than I can express, and I can’t wait to marry you. You’re the most beautiful woman I have ever laid my eyes on, and you look more and more beautiful every time I look at you. You mean absolutely more to me than words can express, and I love you ten times more than that. We have had our past, but this is OUR new beginning. I’ll see you soon.” I folded the letter back the way it had been previously folded, and I put it back in the envelope. I looked up, and noticed that Ms. Tutweiller had her dress on, Addison and Bailey were done doing her hair, and she was looking in the mirror smiling. She must have put the dress on while I was reading. I smiled and took possession of the veil on the table next to me. I walked up from behind, and put the veil on her.

“Ms. Tutweiller, you look simply beautiful.” I said standing next to Bailey.

She nodded. “You most definitely do.”

I saw Ms. T shed a tear. “Stop you guys. I can’t cry, my makeup will run!!” She was smiling as she said that, and just as she turned around, there was a knock on the door.

“Emma? We’re ready when you are.”