Chapter Ten: Wedding Talk

Cody:

After I dropped Zack at the airport, I had to drive Bailey and I back to campus. While I was driving, I realized that my brother was getting married. The thought weighed heavy on my mind. I knew Bailey was the one for me, and that I was going to marry her.

I know I love her, and I want to marry her. Just… not now. Right? Being married and in college… what kind of marriage is that?

I thought to myself. But what I hadn’t realized was that Bailey was talking. To me. I think.

"Cody?” She tapped my shoulder. “Cody!”

I shook myself free of the daunting thoughts. “Yes! What? I’m listening!”

"Wasn’t that the cutest proposal you have ever seen? I mean, I haven’t seen that many proposals, but that one was, by far, the best.” She said talking with her hands like she usually does. She stopped talking for a couple minutes, then turned to me and continued.

"Hey, did you get an invite to Mr. Moesby and Ms. Tutweiller's wedding?" She asked me.

I shrugged my shoulders. "I don't know. I was going to check when we got back to campus."

She nodded. "Oh, okay." Things were awkwardly silent for maybe five more minutes, and then she spoke up again.

"Okay Cody. Please pull over." I looked at her briefly.

"Why?"

"Just, please?"

"Okay…" I pulled over.

She unbuckled her seatbelt and turned so she could look at me directly. "Cody, what is wrong? You're only like this when you have a lot on your mind."

I let out a deep sigh. "Look, it's nothing. It's just, nothing. I'm fine." I reached for the key to turn on the car again. She stopped me.

"What is up, Cody? We aren't leaving until we talk. Does this have something to do with all my talk about how cute the proposal was?"

Dang. She knew me better than I knew myself sometimes. "I just.. yes. No. I don't know."

She looked in my eyes. "What? Did I do something wrong?"

I shook my head again. I know that I want our future together to be... well... longer together." I paused. "But I don't think getting married in college is a good idea. Don't you want to get your life established first before thinking about marriage and kids?"

She nodded. "Yes, but I'm not demanding that. Is that what you’re stressing over?"

I nodded. “Well, yeah! My twin brother is getting married. Not that I ever expected him to… But he loves Maya. And I'm ecstatic that they met. I just worry about some of the decisions he makes sometimes. Like, him going to Afghanistan?! What if I lose the only brother I've got?! Then what?! And then he's going to get married! How does he know that he's ready to take on a responsibility like that! He can't do his laundry on his own without someone telling him three times!"

Bailey took my hands. "He will be fine." I felt her stroking her thumb along the backside of my hand. That, oddly, always calmed me down. "Take a deep breath."

I breathed in and out slowly. "Are you okay?"

I nodded and reached for the ignition, started the car, and drove us to campus. As I was driving, I thought to myself, She's my other half. She knows me better than anyone else in this world. I love her. I love her. I LOVE HER. And not just for her great molecular structure, if you know what I mean.

When we arrived to campus, I dropped Bailey at her dorm, she got out and kissed me goodbye.

"I'll see you soon?" I asked her as she closed the door, but she leaned in through the window and put her forehead against mine. She smiled.

"Definitely." She kissed my forehead, and walked away towards her dorm. I drove to the post office, got my mail, and like Bailey said, there was my invite to Mr. Moesby's wedding. As I left the post office, and was going to start the car, my phone buzzed. I pulled the phone out of my pocket, and looked at the screen.

1 new text message from London.

I opened it.

Cody did u get the invite 2 the wedding?

I slid the screen over to open up to the keyboard and replied.

Yes London. I got it. Bailey, Maya and I all plan on attending.

I waited for a second and got a text back.

What does attending mean?

I opened the keyboard again.

It means to come or go. Like, we are going to go to Mr. Moesby's wedding.

She texted back.

Ohhhhhhhh. Okay. What about Zack?

I let out a deep sigh, and read the message several times before replying.

He's in Afghanistan. He's not going to be able to make it.

Why not?

He's at war in Afghanistan.

EEEEEEEEEEEW! HE HAS TO WEAR CAMO?!

I laughed and started to cry at the same time. I guess it hit me there, that he was really gone. And not to return for a while.

I texted her back.

Yes, London.

YUCK! I'd NEVER wear camo!

I closed the message, and drove back to the dorm. There was no use trying to explain this to her.