Part Nine: Ring the Departure

Maya:

Monday had come. And I wasn’t ready. Zack was leaving, and I felt that I had to be strong, for him. He was going to leave, and there wasn’t anything that was going to change that. Zack got his tickets and went through security, did everything he was supposed to do, and we spent the last few hours we had together, trying to pretend that what we were here for wasn’t going to happen.

Are you hungry?” He asked me, holding my hand, swinging it back and forth as we walked. I tried to smile.

“Sure.” I said. He stopped me.

“Maya, I know this is happening. But, I have something to say.” He turned around to the many people passing by, and stopped them.

“Excuse me, but can I have your attention please?” He said loudly. Many people stopped all around us.

Zack:

“Now, ladies and gentlemen, as you can see before me, is the most beautiful girl in this entire airport. But, based on my uniform, you can see where I am headed. I am going to Afghanistan, today, on the next flight out.” I paused to look at my watch. “In 20 minutes, actually.” I looked back up.

“But, that is not the point. You see ladies and gentlemen, I love this girl.” I looked at Maya. She had her hands over her mouth. But I could see it in her eyes that she was smiling, probably asking herself what am I doing. I walked over to her, and took her hands.

“And if she would have me,” I got down on one knee. Maya started to chuckle, but cry at the same time. She covered her mouth again. “I’d like to marry her.” I finished. The crowd around us had multiplied by that point, people were clapping, cheering, videotaping, and taking pictures.

“Maya, I love you more than I can put into words, and even though this arrangement is only temporary, I’d like for us to be together forever. You make me happy, even on the cloudiest day. And nobody can take that away from me.” I pulled out the little navy blue box, and opened it.

“Maya Elizabeth, will you marry me?” I felt myself smiling from ear to ear. She nodded, tears falling from her eyes, rolling down her cheeks. I rose up, and she threw her arms around my neck and kissed me. I put the ring on her finger, and motioned to the crowd. From it, Maya's parents, her brother, her extended family, my parents, Cody, Bailey, Mr. Moesby, Ms. Tuttweiler, London, Marcus and Woody all emerged. I pointed to them, and she turned around. She squealed and ran to hug everyone. She hugged her family first, then mine, then all our friends.

Bailey:

I had my phone out, videotaping Zack proposing to Maya. "Awwwww!" I said watching it. Zack then motioned to the crowd and we came out to surprise Maya. She squealed and ran towards us. She hugged her family first, then Zack's, and ran towards me, arms wide open and hugged me.

"Oh congratulations, Maya! I'm so happy for you!" I said hugging her.

"Thank you!" I'd never seen her so happy, and smiling so much. She hugged everybody else, and Zack walked over and was given his congratulations.

"Congrats Zack." I said hugging him.

"Thanks." He had the biggest smile, you could see the happiness in his eyes.

Zack:

I thanked everyone for coming, then my watched beeped. I hugged everyone goodbye, and took Maya aside.

"Maya?"

She looked down. "I know." She started to play with her ring, and smiled. "I'm going to miss you. Promise you'll come home?"

I kissed her. "You are my home." We hugged goodbye, and I boarded my plane.

Maya:     

I watched his plane take off and fly up into the air. I waved as if he could see me, then Bailey, Cody, his parents and mine came over and hugged me, telling me that everything would be fine. I knew he would be.

“He’s going to marry me.” I said to myself, smiling