Chapter 5

I could hear my stomach growling as I was walking towards the cafeteria. I really hope they have something good today. Hopefully, it's edible too. I slept in this morning, so I had to skip breakfast. I decided that that was a stupid idea, and to always set the alarm.

As I push open the doors the smell pizza filled my nose. This school was good for one thing: their pizza. I don't know what they do to it, but it's really good. They have it a few times a month, and everyone looks forward to it.

As I pass through the tables to get in line I look over to see Liam, Amelia, and Rachel. By their full trays, it seems like they just sat down. I don't see any of the other boys around, so either they're late or they're skipping.

I pick up a tray, and the first thing I go for is the pizza. I grab some mashed potatoes, a small ham sandwich, and an orange juice. I pay for the food and head back out to the main part of the cafeteria. I walk over to our normal table and plop down beside Liam.

"Long time no see," Amelia says flipping her braid over her shoulder.

"You don't have to tell me twice," I clarify. "Homework has me up to my neck. It seems like when we're almost done they just hand a big stack like we've been on vacation for a few months."

"Sure got that right," Liam agrees.

"Well how about y'all? What have you guys been doing?" I ask.

"Um, not much, really," Rachel exclaims. "We've hung out a few times, but other than that it hasn't been very exciting."

"I don't know about any of you, but I'm ready to graduate right about now," I admit.

"Me too," Max and Jax both say as they sit down on the other side of Liam.

"Once I graduate I'm out," Jax says.

"If you graduate, Jax," Max says smirking. That earned a punch on the arm.

"What are you talking about? I'm the smartest kid in this school!" Jax exclaims.

"Hey, I guess a boy can dream too!" Amelia says. The whole table except Jax burst out in laughter.

"You're just jealous, Lia," Jax murmurs.

"Is that what you call it?" Amelia chuckles.

"Where is Toni?" I ask.

"He's at work," Max informs.

"Work? It's a school day, though."

"On Fridays, he has to work during school hours. The school lets him since it's an actual job and not like an intern job. It gets counted as a school day too." Max explains.

"That must be nice. What does he do over there?" I wonder.

"Isn't it something to do with the technology in the security stuff, Max?" Liam questions.

"Yeah, something like that."

As I take the last bite of my sandwich the bell rungs signaling it's time for the next period. "Well, that's my cue guys. I better get going."

"Hey, wait! If you can, come over today to our spot to hang out." Rachel insists. "If you want, of course."

"Sure, I'll try," I say.

I put my last period's books in my locker and shut it. Again, Lacy wasn't here at school. I'm really curious about it now, I'll have to ask someone later. I reach down by my feet and grab the handle of my bag.

"Hey!"

"AH," I scream as I turn around, but I lose my footing and fall right too my butt.

"Oh, sorry about that," Max says chuckling.