Chapter 16

"You got this," Liam says tightening my vest. In honor of Rachel and Amelia's closet; I was covered head to toe in black. Black yoga pants, black tennis shoes, blank tank top, and a black leather jacket. I didn't think someone could own this much black, but apparently, they did. The guys had me strapped in with all sorts of gear. Nothing very fancy, because they didn't trust me with a lot of their things. Plus I wasn't exactly trained with most of them.

   Max straps the small case to my back. I couldn't understand the name of the device, so I started calling it the Manette. Which means controller in French. I thought it suited the device well. Thank you school for forcing me to learn another language. Who knows, it might come in handy one day.

   I grab Jaxon's hands as he helps me into the back of a work van. It was one of the company's vans. They had given Anthony one for some errands. It had the company's logo on the side, so we'll be able to slip in undetected.

   Anthony will drop me off, at some door. Then, they'll go to the other side, and sneak in. Once they take out any obstacles, also known as guards. Amelia will head back to the van and wait for everyone to return. When I'm finished I am to meet up with Amelia while the rest of the group grabs the codes.

   Fortunately, there won't be a lot of people inside. Most of the staff are having some kind of celebration. The company has a big flat yard in the back that's well kept by gardeners. It's only for people who are higher up, so luckily Anthony didn't have to attend. Mr. Caldwell is hosting the party, therefore he'll be kept busy.

   Anthony slows down in front of a big metal gate. He swipes his card and the gate opens up. We stroll past as it closes behind us. I look out the front window to face the building. It looks a lot bigger in person than on paper or a screen. Luckily, Max had me memorize the blueprints. I not only know the floor I'll be on, but I know all three floors. Every twist and turn, and I'll know where I'm at. Max said if I get into trouble I could use it as an advantage.

   Liam pulls open the slide door once we get to the side of the building. There wasn't a soul around, and the cameras don't reach this door. Before I jump out Liam grabs my arm. "Hey, be careful out there. I mean it, this is a dangerous game we're playing. I don't want to see you get hurt. If something goes wrong you get out of there, okay?" I didn't have any words, so I nod. He lets go of my arm, and I jump out. The van door closes, and they speed away. I turn towards the door and take a deep breath; here goes nothing.

   I slip through the door. I ascend the three flights of stairs. The light around me was dim. A shiver went down my spine from the creepy feeling it gave. I was barely in the building, and I'm already shaking. Clearly, I'm not the type of person to do this, but I can't abandon everyone now. I stop at a door with a number 3 on it. I put on a black mask. It was plain black and only covered my eyes. I flip my hood over my head and sigh. I was ready, and I'm not backing down. I will get this device in it's designated spot. No matter what happens.

   I crack the door open and peek out. I switch my head to the right and left. When I confirm that the hallway is clear, I step out. I quietly shut the door behind me. I shuffle against the wall to the right. In front of me, the hallway comes to a cross. I stop and look down both ways. My hood starts to slide down my head, so I adjust it before taking a left. I pick up my speed. I'm coming into the middle of the building, so there'll be more people.

   I start jogging, the quicker I get there the better. In a few feet, I take another left. When I'm in the middle of the hallway I slow down and back up. I look to my right to see a black door. The numbers 129 were painted in white towards the top. I place my hand on the door handle. I slowly turn it, and sure enough, it's unlocked. I glance around me before pulling the door open and slipping inside.