Chapter 11

"I can't believe we're free!" Amelia screams at the top of her lungs while throwing her arms out. Rachel, Amelia, and I walk out of a cafe each with a Frappuccino in hand. We just spent the hour walking to town talking about what we might do in our future. Amelia was still excited about graduating; even though it's been two days since the ceremony.

   "Yes, we get it," Rachel whines. "Now will you please shut up?" Amelia huffs but doesn't say anything. We stroll down the sidewalk until we find a bench facing a playground. We sit there and watch the kids run around.

   "I always loved playgrounds when I was younger," I blurt out.

   "I still love them," Amelia claims.

   "That's because you never grew up," Rachel throws out. Amelia punches her sister in the shoulder before taking a swig of her drink. Rachel rubs the spot Amelia hit and sticks her tongue out. Amelia replies by sticking her tongue out at Rachel.

   "Are you kids done, or do I need to put y'all in timeout?" I ask sternly, crossing my arms.

   "Sorry mom," Rachel grumbles before cracking up. Amelia and I follow suit. We get a few stares, but we don't let it bother us.

   "Hey Rebecca," Amelia says after our laughter calms down.

   "Yeah?" I answer, sipping my drink.

   "Aren't you going to the gallery today to pick up your prize?"

   "Yep, Liam is going with me too. I just have to get ahold of him when I'm ready."

   "How are you going to do that? You have no phone?" Rachel asks, uncertainty in her voice.

   "Crap, I forgot about that," I mumble under my breath. "Can I use one of yours?"

   "We don't have ours," Rachel replies.

   "The one time I need a phone, y'all don't have one."

   "Sorry," Amelia squeaks. "Oh wait I have a solution!"

   "If you say use someone else, no. I don't want to do that," I put out.

   "No, no, there's a payphone a few miles down. I can take you there when you're ready," Amelia informs.

   "There's a payphone here?" I say surprised.

   "Yep!"

   "I'll believe it when I see it."

   "You'd believe it if Liam said it," Rachel cuts in, smirking. I give her a light shove and stick out my tongue.

   "No," I drag out, crossing my arms.

   "Sure," Rachel drags out in the same tone. I slowly shake my head and turn my attention back to the crowd. For some reason, I just love to people watch.

   Twenty minutes later we finish our drinks. We stand up and throw our empty cups in a nearby trash can. Amelia skips to the sidewalk and Rachel and I silently giggle behind her. She leads us down the street for a few miles before stopping at a small blue box. It was welded to a pole that was sticking out of the ground.

   "Ta-da!" Amelia exclaims, throwing her arms out wide.

   "Alright, I guess I do believe you now."

   "Of course, you do, because I'm always right," Amelia claims, bowing.

   "Whatever floats your boat," I retort.

   "That's a weird saying because the town is in the middle of the woods. The closest we are to an ocean or a lake big enough for a boat is on TV," Rachel thinks out loud.