Chapter 12

Saying I haven't gotten my life together is a huge understatement. It's been a few months and nothing is going the way I wanted it to go. I wasn't able to afford a funeral for mother, so they thought they were being nice by cremating her for free. Them, some misunderstanding happened and the people threw the ashes away, not being able to get them back. I put a few of her favorite things in a box and buried them in the woods next to a big, beautiful, red maple tree.

   I haven't been able to find a job anywhere. Either they're not hiring or I'm not what they're looking for. Apparently, if you move around a lot, have no family, you just graduated, and have no experience, it doesn't make the best "employee". Therefore, the bills for the house cannot be paid. The bank took the car a few weeks ago. I was able to pay a few of the house bills from the money I had saved up, but there was still more. I had even sold my paintings for some extra cash, but it still wasn't enough. The bank came to the door last night, telling me I had to be out by morning.

   Now, I am walking down the sidewalk with a backpack and two suitcases in hand. I have no money, no job, no car, and no house. I haven't decided where to go yet, so far, I'm just letting my feet go wherever while I reflect on everything that has happened. The group doesn't know about most of it. They only know about the incident with my mother. It's not like I didn't want to tell them; I just didn't know how. Besides, I don't think they could've been much help. I wouldn't have accepted any money, and there isn't much advice I could be given that I haven't heard already.

   I look up from my thought to see the warehouse. I guess it wouldn't be so bad if I stayed here for a while. I don't think the group would care too much. I shuffle to the side door and drop my bags. I pray that the door is unlocked. I don't feel like hanging outside for a long time, hopefully, waiting that someone just happens to come by. I shield my eyes and look up to the sun. Yep, I definitely don't feel like being baked like a cookie in this heat. I turn the handle and sure enough, my prayers are answered. I step inside while dragging my bags through the door behind me. The air drops a few degrees the further I go in. From where the sun is in the sky, it only shines through half of the windows. Enough, to light the building up, but not enough to make it a sauna. 

   My belly rumbles as I toss my bags in the corner. I saunter over to the kitchen and make a sandwich. I grab a water bottle from the fridge and back into the main room. I set my things down on the coffee table and switch on the TV. I eat my sandwich as I watch a random show on the screen. Once I finish I toss the trash into a garbage can and belly flop back onto the couch. I grab a blanket that was laying across the back of the couch and spread it over me. I lay my head on a pillow and close my eyes. I will take a quick nap, and then I need to figure out what I need to do.

   "Rebecca?" I stir a little but keep my eyes closed. Mother knows I like my sleep. Besides, I'm a graduate. I don't have to go to high school anymore. "Rebecca," the shoving gets a little harder and the voice I figure out, is definitely not mother. "Rebecca!" I pop one eye open to see everyone surrounding me.

   "What?" I reply, my voice raspy from the nap. 

   "What are you doing here?" Rachel asks. 

   "We haven't seen you in forever, and then you just pop up out of nowhere," Jax jumps in. I notice they keep glancing at each other in confusion.

   "Yeah," Max starts, "you haven't hung out with us here in a long time, and then we find you sleeping on the couch?"

   I sit up and rub the sleep out of my eyes. I look around to see concern on everyone's faces. I peek up at the windows to see a dark golden glow. I must've really been sleep deprived if it's already sundown. I glance back at the group to see Toni missing. He must be working again. I feel like that's all that boy does. "You may want to sit down for this," I inform. The girls take a seat on each side of me. Max and Liam plop down on the love-seat, and Jax takes the chair to my right.