Chapter 15

"No, Rebecca, I said turn toward your right not your left!" Jaxon yells, frustrated. For the past three hours, Jax, Anthony, and Liam have been trying to train me. Let me tell you, it's not going well. I don't think I could take down a dead fly. I've never really been athletic. I was always the artsy one who hung out by herself, or with other artsy outcasts.

   "Let's try it again. I know you got this, Rebecca," Liam encourages. He smiles, but it doesn't show in his eyes. I know he wants me to get this, but I can see that he isn't very positive that I actually can.

   "Are you sure, Liam? This is the tenth time we've tried it," Anthony asks.

   "I know, but she might get it this time," Liam replies.

   My eyes go wide with shock. "I might get it?!"

   "No, Becca, I didn't mean it like that," Liam tries to convince me.

   "No, I know what you mean. C'mon Jaxon, let's do this." He sighs but nods his head. He steps forward throwing a punch with his right arm towards my face. I sidestep to the right, and smile. It quickly drops when Jax grips my left arm and wraps his leg around mine. With one, quick motion, he pulls my body back and trips me. I fall flat on my back, knocking the breath out of me. I lay there, my chest falling up and down from the impact. I lift my head up to see them looking at me sympathetically. I let my head fall back on the mats, and close my eyes.

   "That wasn't too bad," Liam says gripping my hand and pulling me to my feet.

   "You don't have to sugarcoat it. I know that me and fighting don't mix," I sigh. Anthony tosses me a water, and I drink half of the bottle.

   "You could be the driver of our getaway car," Jax halfway jokes.

   "I haven't driven a lot in my life. We owned a small car, but mom always used it to get to work. Give me a skateboard and I'm all for it," I chuckle.

   "Wait, you know how to ride a skateboard, but not a car?" Jax asks in shock.

   "Well, mom taught me a little, but I never had a chance to actually use the car. With the skateboard, yeah, I can ride one. Walking to school can be fun sometimes, but I like a little bit of wheels. It lets me get places faster."

   "Oh," Jax spits out.

   "Well, she can carry our things," Toni suggests with a smirk.

   I give him a sideways punch to the chest before saying, "I'm not totally useless. There has to be something I can do."

   "Wait, maybe there is something," Liam cuts in. "He normally doesn't like other people with him, but you can try to help Max. You're smart, you might do better with all that stuff."

   "I'm not sure about me being smart, but I'll give it a go. Hold up, if he doesn't like people him, why are sending me to help him?" I ask with uncertainty.

   "You're different than all of us. He might like you and let you help him more than he would us," Jax replies.

   "If you say so," I drag out before trudging over to the room at the end. I've only been in there a few times after the incident with Toni. They haven't let me touch or mess with anything. I can see why, I can't exactly afford to replace anything, anyway. I just hope I'm able to help Max. Otherwise, I don't know any other way to help the group on their mission. I call it a mission instead of robbing. Makes it sound less illegal.

   I push open the door and step inside. I look over to see Max typing away at lightning speed on multiple computers. He looks deep in thought, and I'm a little scared to walk over and disturb him. I shut the door, and walk over to the desk. He doesn't move, so I know he doesn't hear me. I take cautious steps back to the door. I open it and close it a little harder. When the door shuts it makes a thump sound.