A Proposition

Dipper kept running, stumbling every few feet. Tears were blurring his eyes, making him run into branches and thorns; something he was usually very adept at avoiding. His face stung from branches whipping at it. The entirety of Dipper's body ached from running for who knows how long. His chest heaved with both emotion and exhaustion. He couldn't differentiate the two anymore.

   Dipper felt as if his heart had been ripped out. He had known he was upset by Mabel's betrayal, but he hadn't realized how deep that pain ran. Until now. Dipper knew that as soon as those words left his mouth, they were completely and absolutely true. And he knew that things would never be the same. Things could never go back to the way they were, no matter the amount of apologies, from either party.

   He tripped over a protruding root, falling to his knees. Dipper didn't have the strength to stand, crouching on the forest floor. He hadn't even realized he'd been crying until he had been forcefully stopped, bringing with it some awareness. Dipper just lay there, not having the will or energy to keep moving. He painted the perfect picture of pain and anguish, crouching in front of a tree root, tears streaming down his near bloody face, sobs being ripped from his throat. It was heart wrenching, to even the most cold hearted.

   Eventually, when Dipper finally had the energy to move, he crawled his way towards a tree to lean on. Dipper felt emotionally and physically exhausted. He almost wished something would come from the forest and swallow him whole. He chuckled at the idea, remembering the countless times that had nearly happened. Oh, how the tables have turned. Dipper began to chuckle, humorlessly at first, but it quickly built to a crescendo of broken laughter. He couldn't tell if he was laughing or sobbing anymore. A small part of his brain was concerned at this, but he ignored it. He couldn't be bothered to care; not now.

   Eventually, as Dipper sat beneath a tree with tears falling from his red, puffy eyes, he fell asleep.

~~~~~~~~~~Line~Break~~~~~~~~

   Bill looked on at Pine Tree, actually feeling a bit bad for the kid. Well, as bad as an all-knowing dream demon could. Bill had to hold back a cackle at the thought.

   The dream demon had been watching Dipper since he had first found the journal, taking an immediate interest in him. After all, most people wouldn't be able to figure out half the things Pine Tree has in twice the amount of time. Given, Shooting Star and Question Mark did have a hand in it. Shooting Star... Bill may just have to thank her! She's making his job so much easier than he anticipated! And, after Pine Tree destroyed their sibling bond, he'd soon be begging him for help! This time, Bill did laugh, long and hard. He saw Pine Tree start to stir, and decided it was time to put on a little show.

~~~~~~~~~~Line~Break~~~~~~~~

   Dipper woke groggily, not wanting to open his eyes. He still felt weary, and his aching body did nothing to help. Dipper probably would have fallen back asleep if not for an unwelcome, but familiar voice.

   "Pine Tree! I know you're awake." Bill sang. After several minutes of silence on Dipper's part, the dream demon continued. "Come on Pine Tree, aren't you happy to see me?" He all but whined.

"Go away Bill." Dipper growled, trying to turn away from where he'd heard the demon. He was determined to keep his eyes closed, wanting to continue to sleep. Dipper didn't think he was ready to face the real world yet; he didn't know if he ever would be. Bill, who was well aware of Dipper's thoughts, didn't give a damn.

"You'd think you would be happy to have company." He sighed dramatically. "Especially after that spat with Shooting Star." Dipper's eyes shot open at this. Unfortunately for him, Bill was turned away, meaning he couldn't see the mouth-less smirk Bill wore.

"How the hell do you know about that?" Dipper practically yelled, feeling panicked. If Bill knew about his fight with Mabel, then what else did he know? Did he know about the portal? Did he know about the author? Dipper's lack of information was infuriating!

"Of course I know about it! And about the portal, and the author, and much much more Pine Tree. I am all knowing, after all." Bill turned to face Dipper then. "And I know all about you and your so called sister."

"What are you talking about Bill?" Dipper said with an accusing tone, his eyes narrowed in suspicion.

"If you ask me, Shooting Star isn't much of a sister at all." Dipper went to interrupt, but Bill continued. "You constantly having to save her, and her taking more from you with each passing day."

"No..." Dipper said weakly, shaking his head. Dipper didn't want to understand what Bill was talking about, but he did. For as long as Dipper could remember, Mabel was the social one. She was the popular one. But with that came some downfalls; ones she would pass on to Dipper. Whenever someone gave her any issues, she would come running to Dipper, who would inevitably get beaten to a bloody pulp.

"Don't deny it Pine Tree, you know I'm right. You were forced to save her from wedding gnomes, gave you the job to break up with Pentagram for her, nearly getting you killed. She forced you to give up your shot with Red so she could have a pig, made you give up a job for a Merman you had never seen before-"

"Shut up."

"-Took your precious journal without asking-"

"I said, Shut up! "

"-Constantly calls you weak, Shooting Star even calls herself the Alpha Twin!" Bill scoffed at that, genuinely disgusted with the meat bag's irritating nature. "And, worst of all-"

"Don't you dare."

"-She trusted Fez over her own twin. The one and only Pine Tree."

"I KNOW!" Dipper bellowed, feeling the tears fall from his eyes. "I fucking know, okay? She's awful to me, and everyone likes her more." He whispered out brokenly, well aware that he was showing weakness in front of the enemy. "It hurts." Dipper sobbed out, no longer able to hold it back.

"I can make it go away. The pain, the hurt; I can get rid of it." Bill said quietly, sounding almost sincere. Dipper, however, didn't buy it.

"For what? I already said I won't make a deal with you, Cipher." Dipper snapped, not wanting to deal with the dream demon' mind games.

"It won't be a deal, Pine Tree." Bill responded, still using that strangely sincere tone. And for some reason Dipper couldn't explain, he almost believed the demon. "How about this, Pine Tree. Think on it for a few days, and I'll come back for your answer." Dipper nodded at this, despite his better judgment. "And Pine Tree; this is you're decision. Don't let Shooting Star and Sixer take it away from you." With that, Bill snapped his fingers, Dipper waking immediately.

One thing Dipper knew for sure; he had quite a lot to think about.