Carefully Laid

"Pine Tree, it's time I tell you the truth; the whole truth."

"What are you talking about, Bill?"

"Come now Pine Tree, you're not naïve. You know there's a reason I came to Gravity Falls." Dipper winced, knowing how right he was. Weeks of effort and sleepless nights had been wasted on trying to figure out the dream demon's purpose; leading absolutely nowhere, obviously. He could almost laugh at his previous actions. Even then Dipper should have known how pointless it was, trying to decipher the one and only Bill Cipher.

"I'll keep it simple, kid. I plan to bring controlled magic to this dimension." Dipper was physically taken aback by this, unable to keep from stuttering out his confusion.

"Wha- How? You said there was only wild magic?"

"And that's why I'm going to bring back the controlled." Bill rolled his eye, crossing his arms in front of him. "The only way to do it is by essentially combining my dimension with yours." Dipper blanched at this, unable to comprehend what Bill had just said.

"Combining two dimensions should be physically and theoretically impossible! Even if it were, it would likely end in both being destroyed." His mind was racing with the possibilities of what could happen, ignoring basic physics.

"You're not wrong, Pine Tree. Usually, that would be the case. But the chaos dimension is, as the name says, chaos. It's constantly shifting. The only constant is the controlled magic that allows it to change so freely. It makes it the perfect candidate for bringing magic to other dimensions." Dipper nodded, understanding most of what Bill had said, only knowing the basics in magical theory. But one question still plagued his mind.

"But why? What point is there to bringing controlled magic to us "meat sacks?"' Bill paused at the question.

"I have my reasons, kid." Was all he said in response. "But in order for me to do this, I need you to do something for me. When Sixer walked back into this dimension, it created a something. A rift."

"And you need access to this rift in order to bring your dimension here," Dipper finished. "But, the bastard knows what happened, and doesn't want you to get it, am I right?"

"I knew you were smart, kid," Bill cackled.

Dipper chuckled along, used to the dream demon by now. His thoughts quickly turned to the task at hand. While he was nervous for what could happen, Dipper couldn't deny his trust in Bill. Dipper knew that it would be impossible for him to get even close to the Shack without being spotted. But he, as always, had a plan.

~~~~~~~~~~Line~Break~~~~~~~~

Dipper waited impatiently for Shoo- Mabel to arrive at the clearing. He paced back and forth, looking up at the slightest noise. She was several minutes late, much to Dipper's irritation.

Eventually, she ran into the clearing, barely even panting. Had she even tried to get here on time?

"Dipper!"

"You're late." He sighed, thinking he should have known to expect this by now. Mabel had taken very few things seriously throughout her life, why should this have been any different?

"Yeah, sorry Dip, Gruncle Ford held me back," she giggled. He flinched at the name, but otherwise ignored her words. That wasn't what mattered at the moment. "So what do you need?" She asked with her normal optimism. It was almost refreshing, if it hadn't been quickly shredded by memories of the portal. Dipper had to physically shake away the thoughts.

"Something he has," he started, knowing there could be some difficulties in convincing her to steal from the bastard. "It's called a rift, and I need you to get it." Dipper had decided against telling her too much information. Information was power, and he refused to allow her any power over him.

"Wait, is it that glowy thing he keeps in that weird circle-thing?" Dipper sighed at her simple-minded phrasing. Though he supposed that some things will never change. Dipper nodded in response, failing at hiding his exasperation. "I don't know Dip, he seems pretty protective of it..." Her nerves where almost palpable, but Dipper forged on.

"I thought you wanted to mend things, but I suppose I was wrong. Go home Mabel, there's no point in you being here." He turned away from her, frowning.

"No! Dipper... I... I'll do it." She spoke, her voice small. Dipper couldn't hold back a slight smirk; this was almost too easy.

"Thank you Mabel, you have no idea how much this means to me." Dipper turned back to her, seeing tears in Shoot- Mabel's eyes, and he knew that by the end of the week, he would have the rift.

~~~~~~~~~~Line~Break~~~~~~~~

"That was awfully manipulative of you Pine Tree," Bill spoke, having appeared in the kid's dreamscape moments after he'd fallen asleep. "I'm proud of ya kid! Couldn't have done a better job myself!" Of course Bill could have, but finally, finally Pine Tree was on the path Bill had intended. And he sure as hell wasn't about to ruin it.

"I don't know Bill..." He trailed off, shuffling slightly. "Even after all she's done, I hate lying to her."

"Aw, come on. You didn't lie, you just didn't tell her everything!" He cackled. "Besides, how many times has she lied to you? Made you a means to an end?" Bill could hear as Dipper's rational mind battled against his words. But a buried, darker mindset came forth, showing the truth that Dipper had refused to acknowledge for so long; he was a doormat to his family. Though, Bill did take some credit for giving it the chance to escape from the deep recesses of Pine Tree's mind.

Soon, Bill would have the riff. And then, this dimension would fall easily to the magic brought. And, what made it far sweeter, would be that Pine Tree would be by his side.

A/n: Hey guys! Hope you liked the chapter, and the story for that matter! Please comment your thoughts, and any corrections you have!

I just wanted to point out that this is a dark Dipper fic, in case anyone is confused by his behavior. Thanks again for reading!