Realizations

Dipper woke with a groan, throwing an arm over his eyes. Unfortunately for the tired teenager, the sun was rather persistent, still shining through and burning his retinas. After a few more minutes of desperately trying to cling to unconsciousness, Dipper gave up. He groaned once again, and sat up on his bed. A quick glance to the other half of the attic showed that Mabel had already gone downstairs.

   Good, Dipper thought. He didn't think he had the energy to deal with her quite yet. Or ever.

   It hadn't even been twenty-four hours since Wendy and Soos had found Dipper in the woods, and the tension was still thick. It could even be felt before Dipper had spoken to anyone, and before he'd even stepped foot outside of the attic. He couldn't stand it. Dipper had always been a non confrontational person, Mabel being the more aggressive one. But he didn't feel the awful guilt and pain he usually had after any sort of fight. Now Dipper just felt exhausted. But, he couldn't sit in bed forever.

   When he walked into the small kitchen, the tension grew to an impossible thickness. It felt as if it was a physical thing, something to be waded through and navigated. He slowly walked to the stained coffee maker, hoping to get some caffeine before dealing with anyone. Just before the warm liquid reached his lips, Dipper was interrupted.

   "Dipper-" Mabel started, taking on a rarely uncomfortable tone. Dipper just started to walk away, not wanting to fight in his tired state. That plan was cut short when Stanford blocked his path.

   "Move."

   "No Dipper. We need to talk." The older man said, gesturing to a shabby table that already had Mabel and Stanley sitting there. Dipper tried to get around Stanford, but he was instead forced to sit at said table.

   "Kid, something's up with you." Stanley started, a pained expression painting his face. "You've been acting out of line, to me and your sister." Dipper held back a growl. He'd already told Mabel he was done being her brother.

   "You've just been so... so mean Bro-Bro." Mabel said, her eyes teary.

   "Dipper, have you been visited by a triangular creature who calls himself 'Bill?'" Stanford jumped in. Dipper clenched his teeth at the question. Why the hell did Stanford care? It's not like he'd ever bothered before. And Dipper knew better than to tell the scientist about the proposition Bill had offered him. Stanford took Dipper's silence as a yes. "Dipper, whatever he offered you, do not accept his deal. Bill is a dream demon, one of the most powerful from what I've calculated. He will manipulate you, offer you things you feel you can't refuse. But, know this; Bill always makes sure to angle things to his benefit. And no one else's."

   Dipper had had enough. What the hell did they think of him? Did they think he was stupid? Or fucking possessed? Dipper growled audibly.

   "Who the hell do you think I am? She must've told you about our run ins with him in the past?" Dipper steadily grew louder in volume. "Here's an idea. Maybe I'm finally fucking standing up for myself." He threw back his chair, standing. "MAYBE I'M DONE BEING YOUR GODDAMN DOORMAT!" Dipper was panting now, feeling a snarl take shape on his face. "And I'm not possessed." This he directed at Stanford, knowing what he likely was thinking. Without another word, he left.

   This time Dipper went into the town. Though he didn't want to deal with people, he knew that his so called family would look to the forest first to find him. Hunching his shoulders with his hands shoved into his pockets, Dipper began to walk through the town of Gravity Falls. Glancing around the town, he saw the normal sights. Lazy Susan giving overcooked food to town residents, Manly Dan punching a nearby lamppost into a right angle, Sheriff Blubs and Deputy Durlin running about doing anything but their jobs, to name a few. Dipper couldn't understand how nothing had changed; how the town could still be so very bland. Sure, the run in with the Society of the Blind Eye explained why nearly everyone was unbearably stupid. But it was destroyed, only a few people even knowing that it existed. So why was everything so boring?

After what felt like only a few moments of pondering this, Dipper reached the other side of town. No wonder Gravity Falls isn't on most maps, it was practically the size of a postage stamp.

As usual, Dipper found his way back to the forest's edge. He'd always wondered why others didn't find the wonders of Gravity Falls as fascinating as him. It was teeming with supernatural life, something so many people read about and wished real, yet they refused it when it was right outside their door! It didn't make sense!

Dipper walked into the forest, feeling a sense of calm wash over him at the familiar sights and smells. For several moments, he just stood there, taking in the beauty that was the forest. Trees towering high above him, some rays of sunlight breaking through. Birds sang, sometimes flying back and forth. Pockets of flowers and moss grew on the ground, giving a pleasantly musky scent. But that was only the surface, Dipper knew. If he looked underneath the right stone, behind the right tree, he'd find the supernatural beings that resided there. To Dipper, this was home. He felt truly at ease here, something he'd never felt before. Sure, he thought he knew what home was back in Piedmont, but now he didn't know how he'd ever go back. A place of cement and squares; the only life either human or pet.

But even the persisting amazement of the supernatural forest was tainted by the thought of betrayal.

   With every passing moment, whether it was at the Shack, in town, or even staring at the wonders of the forest, Dipper felt himself draw closer and closer to a decision.