Killian POV

I looked up from the table I was at, stopping in the middle of my sentence. I had been in the middle of telling a story from one of my adventures when I heard people arguing loudly outside. Since the town seemed like the kind that does not normally have much trouble, I went outside to investigate, ignoring my crew behind me.

When I stepped outside the pub, I found myself watching two women who were facing one another. One I recognized as the lass who had given me the apple earlier - (y/n) - and the other was an older woman who appeared to be royalty.

"Who cares about them?" the older woman was saying. "They are expendable. Their lives mean nothing. And don't you dare speak to me that way! I am your mother!"

"No! Don't use that excuse on me. You've never treated me like your child, only because I turned out like Father. Well, at least I have a heart for these people, unlike you!"

The woman glared at (y/n) as she walked towards her. Anyone in the area seemed to shudder at her, terrified by her presence. All except (y/n). She held firm as the woman came forward.

Once the woman stopped in front of (y/n), she drove her arm into (y/n)'s chest, causing the lass to scream in pain. Anger filled me at seeing the girl in pain. I went to go and help her, but I felt someone grab my arm. My body went stiff when I saw the woman rip (y/n)'s heart right out of her chest.

"What were you saying about having a heart, dear?" she chuckled.

"What are you going to do with it?" (y/n) gasped, still winded from having her heart ripped out. "Crush it? You've always hated me. Go on, do it. Destroy it, right here, right now. Just spare these people; they've done nothing wrong."

My eyes widened slightly at her request. She was willing to sacrifice herself if so the people of the town could live.

"Hmm. A tempting offer."

The woman squeezed (y/n)'s heart, making her fall to the ground and scream in agony. I tried to move forward again, but another set of hands stopped me.

"Don't, lad," a voice hissed from behind me. "You don't want to make things worse."

I still struggled a little against the men, wanting to help. I don't know what it was about (y/n) that made me want to help her so desperately. I froze in place when I saw (y/n) look up through her (h/c) hair, her (e/c) eyes meeting my blue ones. While they held pain in them, her eyes also held a strong sense of protectiveness and courage.

A moment later, the woman released her grip on (y/n)'s heart, allowing her to breath properly.

"I will spare these people's lives, but I have other plans for you, my daughter."

Not a moment later, the two were engulfed by purple smoke. When it disappeared, the two were gone. Murmurs suddenly became louder, fear in many of the voices, all talking about their concerns for (y/n). Still feeling hands on my arms, I turned to look at the men who had been holding me back. With a slight nod, they let go of me.

"What the bloody h*ll just happened?" I questioned.

The pub owner and the other man exchanged brief looks before the first man went inside. I looked to the second, waiting for an explanation.

"(y/n) came around town almost every week," he said. "She would come by to my shop and buy food, lots of it, then go around and give it out to those who needed it the most. She would give out blankets for people to keep warm. Everyone around here can tell you that they saw her as a beacon of hope and light in dark times."

"And what about the other woman? The one that took her heart?"

Instead of answering, the man motioned for me to follow him. I did as he asked, following him into his shop. After closing the door, he turned back towards me.

"That woman is her mother, Cora. She's ruler of this land, though it is rumored she is passing on the title soon to one of her daughters. Cora never liked (y/n); she found the girl too kind. As you just witnessed, Cora isn't a very pleasant woman to be around."

"Apparently. So what's going to happen to (y/n) then?"

The man sighed heavily.

"I don't know. Those who cross Cora or her wrath are normally never heard from again."