Chapter Sixteen

*
After three days Mommy and Kaybee finally left Kano and went back to Abuja. Mommy's flight is in three days and Kaybee has some things to take care of before finally going back to the states.

Surprisingly, Afreen didn't even cry when they were bidding them goodbye, she just wished them a safe trip as Khadijah taught her to do and hugged her Abba making him promise her that he will buy lots of toys for her and her sisters. She claimed to be a big sister with responsibilities of taking care of the twins and it baffled Khadijah on how smart the little girl is.

The next day, Zee came early with the form for D to fill and Khadijah was so ecstatic that she danced some steps to the amusement of Zee and little Afreen .Kaybee called in the evening to speak with his daughter .

" Assalamu alaikum Abba how are you doing?"

" Wa'alaikissalam princess am fine Alhamdulillah how about you the twins, your Mamie , Ummie and Baba ?"

" We are all fine , Hmm Abba let me tell you what happened today " The girl chirped and before Khadijah realised what she's trying to do she continued .

" Mamie danced today, she was so happy she even gave me a big hug I want you to be happy and dance like Mamie "

Khadijah face palmed and felt like dying out of embarrassment, she glared at Afreen who was not affected at all, she kept rambling to her dad until he asked her to pass the phone to D, knowing that the girl will rat her out if she refuse to collect the phone, she did so noting to never do something embarrassing when Afreen is around .

" Assalamu alaikum Ya kaybee "

" Wa'alaikissalam Mamie, how are you guys ? Hope Afreen is not giving you much of a hassle ?"

" We are fine Alhamdulillah and no, she's being a good girl and very helpful with the twins, how's Abuja and the empty house ?" She teased and he replied positively . They talked for a while before he finally decided to embarrass her more by saying

" Allah Hafiz Mamie , till I come for dance lessons "

From the moment they left kano till date, Khadijah kept invading his thoughts , his dreams and daydreams, he cannot figure out why this is happening to him all of a sudden, the feelings are foreign he can't name them .With a heavy sigh he left his room to the living room,the house is eerily quite now that mommy and daddy are in Makkah and the house maids were on leave .Mommy's idea to spite him, saying that he should find a wife and marry if he don't want to be left alone at home ,he had scoffed at that saying that they should choose a wife for him but right now the idea of his folks choosing a wife for him is not appealing any more .

The call for zuhr salah was made and he left for the masjid .After the congressional prayer he drove around town and finally made a stop at his favorite restaurant to have his lunch and a take out food for later .

He was almost done when his thoughts once again wandered to Khadijah. How she is a pro at cooking delicious delicacies for the short time he was there and now the food he was eating suddenly tasted bland. He wish he can turn back time and eat her food or better yet be there right that instance .

The following days, Kaybee could not endure the pain of not being close to Khadijah and his princess ,she is everywhere invading his every thoughts. Even when he close his eyes ,it's her image that pop up, everything reminds him of her and by the end of the week he found himself driving to Kano, he was almost at Zaria when he thought of what to tell Ummie when asked of his sudden unexpected visit but braced himself to answer any question he might be asked with half truths .

Khadijah was plaiting Afreen's hair when Kaybee made his presence known with a salam. To say that Khadijah was surprised is an understatement, they started a staring contest, none of them saying a word. Afreen ran and hugged her father who held her in his arms still looking at Khadija his heart at ease and eyes no longer itching now that he had seen what brought him back to Kano without planning to .