Chapter Nineteen

*

Haroun's first step of deception is to deceive his parents by pretending to turn over a new leaf. He visits them everyday bearing gifts, he has suddenly turned into an obedient doting child , he does things without being asked .

"Mama am really sorry for all the wrongs I have done, I have realised my mistakes and come to know that you're the most important people in my life " with head docked low Haroun apologised to his mother .

" Hmm " his mother smiled. The type of smile only her knows the meaning of.

After cajoling his mom into saying she has forgiven him which in reality she did not, he left to meet his father in the office and repeated the same process with his father .

He was so happy that for the first time in forever he bought provisions and grocery for his family, his wives were surprised as to his sudden change of attitude. They are gold diggers hence the situation they find themselves in , he showered each of them with lots of money and love before marriage. But all that changed after their first night with him as man and wife. Two of them were lucky to be treated with kindness for half of a year . He only has two kids with his first wife and the rest did not last long to bear him a child .

He detest the idea of being a father, to him it's an added responsibility he is not ready to partake. His two sons can count the times he ever look at them with kindness nor talk to them . Their grandfather Alhaji Sani takes care of their education ,clothing and all necessities. They seldom stay at home except on holidays to see their Mother who looks 50years older than her real age.

" What's the occasion maigida" the 9th wife asked out of curiosity knowing that there must be a reason behind the heap of provisions.

" Mtsww what sort of nonesense is this ? What kind of uncouth wife are you ? Instead of you to welcome me back in a sweet manner you are asking me useless questions !" He glowered at her looking at her with disgust.

He went into his room with a hiss. The other wives exchanged looks and laughed at the 9th wife .

" What makes you ask him? Now see what you've caused? " his first wife said , following him into the room since it's her duty .

He didn't even spare her a glance , she knows not to say a word , she helped him remove his clothes and switched on the water heater for him before going to bring in his lunch .

She met the other three wives gossiping about the provisions, with a sad small smile she went into the kitchen. He always have a sumptuous meal to come home to but none of them is entitled to eat half as good as what he usually takes,that is not allowed except if you're a new bride.

" I have found another beautiful lady, and I want to marry her as soon as possible " Haroun stated while drying his body with a towel.

" All the best " was all she could say, she is used to all these so it wasn't new to her .It baffles her on how he leads his life like an animal, she could not blame his parents because they are good people. She use to wonder whether he is not Alhaji Sani's biological son but she cannot argue the fact because Haroun is a carbon copy of his father ,even their voice sounds the same .

**

Khadijah was cleaning the house when Ummie passed her phone to her .Without checking the caller ID she put the phone to her ears .