Chapter 10 - Announcements

"I swear I wouldn't have jinxed you!" Sirius insisted to Hermione after spotting her walking down to the Great Hall for dinner.

"Oh sure, that's why you had your wand pointed at me!"

"I would have Disarmed you, at the most! I wouldn't hurt you, Granger."

"Whatever. I'd say I'm sorry about Silencing you yesterday, but I'm not!" Hermione flourished away into the doors of the Great Hall where she joined her close group of friends. She felt her heart flutter at the cheek of her sassiness.

"You okay?" Lily asked happily as the plates filled with a number of delicious dishes.

"'m fine," Hermione said, already stuffing her face with food.

The meal passed quickly and Professor Dumbledore stood to give his speech. It was the third time he had said a few words since the beginning of the year, and it was one of the only times the whole school had seen him. He was away almost constantly, and no student had any idea where he could have been dissapearing to.

"Pupils and teachers, you must excuse me from being absent occasionally. I find, that given the current circumstances, I am led away by other duties... for the greater good," His face twitched slightly, "Nevertheless, you need not trouble yourselves about it, for you are all too young to want to be involved. Enjoy your seclusion in these safe walls for as long as you can.

"But on a lighter note, I am to confirm that the fourth Quidditch match will be Griffindor against Ravenclaw, a fortnight from now and a week before the Christmas Break. And congratulations to the Slytherin team for winning in the last match against our loyal Hufflepuffs here. Also, my dear Professor Slughorn has asked me to remind all members of his little 'club', that he will be holding his usual Christmas Party and Ball two days before the end of term. Invites will be sent around as soon as possible."

Hermione felt her heart plummet. A ball? It had been tradition for years for Professor Slughorn to have a party that was almost like a Muggle Prom, but Hermione had completely forgotten. Who would she go with? She and Lily exchanged horrified glances. Knowing that they would be invited.

"I'm sure you're all very excited about that. Finally, I would like to wish you all good luck with your studies, hopefully I will be able to wish you luck before you start your end of year exams. Now off to bed, pip, pip."

Reluctantly, Hermione stood with her friends and left the hall. Still troubling over the ball.

That evening, Hermione and her three closest friends sat in their beds, worriedly gossiping.

"I think its obvious that James will ask you out," Hermione stated to Lily. "But what will you say?"

Lily sucked in through her teeth. "He's an idiot. How could I say yes to a rotten bully like him?"

"Well then who will you go with?"

"I don't know - anyone! What about you, Mary?"

She shrugged nonchalantly. "Dean is really amazing, but then he wouldn't so much as look at me,"

Dean was one of the most popular boys in the school, funny and charming. But a year seven. And he certainly wouldn't give Mary, or any girl, a second glance.

"Yeah, but he'll be going with Cas," Marlene giggled.

Hermione pursed her lips in attempt to suppress a laugh.

"At least there's always Gilderoy for you, Hermione!" Lily laughed. Hermione threw a pillow at her, 'dangerously' hard.

"You know what would be great? If Hermione could go with Lupin, Lily with Potter, me with... let's say, Sirius... and Mary with Peter. Win win situation!"

Hermione sighed and Mary moaned in protest. "Or we all just accept whatever offers come our way," Hermione suggested unsurely.

"Unless its Potter..."

"I hope you'll come up with a few excuses, because I bet he'll ask you a few hundred times more than you'd want."

"He already has,"

Hermione snorted and turned over in her bed, waiting for the toll of sleep to take its course. "Lets just hope none of us get invited," she mumbled before plummeting into sleep.