Chapter 20 - Where's the sympathy?

"You screwed up, mate." James laughed.

"Do I not get any sympathy?" Sirius asked.

"Maybe Peter might rub your back or something." James snorted.

Sirius rolled his eyes. "Great support."

"Don't mention it. But seriously Sirius, don't think about it. It'll all get sorted out. Or it won't. She's hardly 'the one' is she? She's just a little fish in the sea."

Sirius smiled and lay back into his bed. "More like one in a million."

"Ha. Don't get all sentimental on me now, Padfoot!"

Sirius smiled weakly. "These girls, hey?" He said.

"Yep. These girls." James repeated quietly.

Sirius lay in his bed silently, thinking of Hermione. It was so weird, he'd never been turned down before. What wasn't there to love about him? Okay sure, he dated a few girls. But he couldn't go back in time and un-date them, so why did Hermione give it so much thought? Besides, he broke up with the last one in the Christmas holidays, so he was totally single. And why would he cheat on her? Her points made no sense at all... but neither did his feelings...

"You know what I've noticed?" Mary said suddenly as the four friends settled into bed.

"What?" Hermione asked.

"It's been about a month since James last asked you out, Lily." Mary answered.

Lily took a second to reply. "Good."

"He hasn't asked you in the last two weeks since term began, and he obviously didn't ask you in the two week Christmas break... maybe he's given up." Marlene assessed.

"Thank Merlin." Lily replied shortly.

"What will you say if he asks you out again?"

"No, obviously. He's a bullying toe rag."

"Awww. I thought he was beginning to rub off on you!" Hermione said.

Lily rolled over into her pillow. "Shut up all of you." She mumbled, and her friends reluctantly obeyed.

They were only teasing, but there was truth behind it. Hermione especially did believe that Lily was feeling differently about James.

AN:  My writing is really messing up, sorry!! And its really short, sorry again!