Dent

Dent

Jessica honked the car horn when I was about halfway to my house. With it being about ten o'clock in the evening, I turned around and shushed her loudly. She and Angela just laughed before speeding off in her little Toyota. I laughed along with them, watching as they drove rather quickly down the road. Jessica was a horrible driver. Though, I think she was more trying to show off. Show off what, I didn't know given that her car was quite literally a clunker. But no matter, I still had a great time. I turned slowly, noting the wet concrete beneath my flat shoes, and headed up the driveway. The bags were weighing down on my arms and I was getting tired of carrying them around. Despite the fact that we were dress shopping for prom in October, I actually bought one. It was only logical to do so, however. I mean, things in the 'romance' part of my life had gone from nonexistent to definitely maybe. I was almost certain that Mike would ask me to prom if not that one shaggy haired boy in my math class. So it was good to be prepared. To be honest, I thought the world would have ended by now. But it was staying put for the time being and I smiled to myself as I looked for the appropriate key.

Luckily though, Charlie opened the door before I had to worry about unlocking it. "Hey, Bella, right on time," he said as he allowed me through, taking the bags from my weary arms.

"Yep, toldya so," I answered, flopping myself on the couch. Charlie followed, sitting on the chair opposite me and setting the bags between his feet.

"How was Port Angeles?"

"It was really nice. Jessica and Angela can shop for hours but they were good company. And they helped me out with dresses and such. Then we ate at a local, quirky restaurant."

Charlie nodded, watching me. Then he grinned and picked up the bags at his feet. "So, this is a dress then. Can I see it?" I smiled at him but shook my head, standing up to take the bags from his hands.

"Sorry, dad, but I don't want to have to get these things out unless I have a date. So until then, you don't get to see it." Charlie frowned, flinging his hand lazily towards me.

"Aw, come on, Bells. You know you're going to have a date. Let me see it now so there's no suspense."

"Sorry, no can do, pops," I answered, hugging him quickly before bidding goodnight and racing up the stairs. I heard his faint chuckle and he wished me good night as well as I reached the top of the stairs. Shaking my head, I headed into my room and shut the door. Today had been fun. I'd forgotten what that was like. Not in a depressing way, but I just hadn't had real fun in a long time. Things had just been okay for awhile. But now, they were good. And if this book held true, things were about to get a lot better.

I took my time putting my things away and changing into my pajamas. For some reason, I enjoyed building suspense for myself. And, even if the book turned out to be a total waste, I knew I wouldn't be able to put it down until sleep made me. So it only made sense to get prepared for bed before I started. The dress put away, room neat and tidied and pajamas on, I was nearly done. I took a sideways towards my window. It was still locked from last night. I brought my hand to rest across my chest, tapping my fingers along my collarbone. My fingers tapped for a few moments before I stopped and glanced down. Why was I doing this? I mean, yes, it was slightly relaxing, the rhythm and the sound of my fingers on the bone but where did I get the idea to do that? Oh, that's right...Alice had done it before. I remember noticing it. As if I'd been caught with my hand in the cookie jar, I quickly threw my hand to my side, wiping it on the side of my shorts. Then I turned my attention to the window again. And, deciding I was a real glutton for punishment, I unlocked it.

There must have been some morbid fascination that I had with it all. Or maybe I was flattered by the fact that I was being stalked. Who knew? I sure didn't. But nevertheless I turned out the light and climbed into bed, attaching my book light to the hardcover of the novel. Six chapters in, you couldn't have torn my eyes away from the text with a crowbar. This book had all of the descriptions with a background to follow it.