1

"New Girl, you're with us."

My first day at Eve Hall High has been a success so far, everyone passing by without a glance. That is until now.

Being picked last for dodgeball might be most people's worst nightmare—today, mine is being chosen first for volleyball.

The irony isn't lost on me. A year ago, I was a star player on my high school volleyball team. A national champion. A dedicated athlete. Today, I'm New Girl, standing meekly in the corner and failing at my attempt to stay invisible.

My mission of transforming myself from popular-girl-turned-charity-case to... well, something less like a TV drama, is suddenly in jeopardy, and I have to take a deep breath to keep myself from having a panic attack.

"Come on," the same tall girl urges me, waving a hand her way.

Her appearance alone intimidates me. She must be nearing six feet tall, her limbs just as muscular as they are long. She's undoubtedly an athlete. Her shoulder length brown curls are tied back with a pink scrunchie, and she sports no makeup, yet her mocha brown skin is perfectly clear, and her beaming smile is welcoming and friendly. It takes the edge off my nerves, if ever so slightly.

I rush to stand behind Tall Girl, beginning the group with just us. A few more people are chosen to each team until no one is left on the opposite side of the court, and we move to our respective sides of the large net.

"New Girl, you're up first. Maybe just try setting it to Sabrina?" she suggests. I tug at my tight volleyball gear, thankful that the fabric wrapped around me is comfortable, unlike the situation.

I just nod, the witty response in my head remaining stuck in my throat. Better to start slow, I tell myself. Quiet. Stay under the radar.

"Rachel, spot her just in case," Tall Girl mutters to a very pale, very blonde girl next to me with an incredibly long yet thin braid. She's practically see-through.

Rachel agrees to spot me, and despite having played volleyball for a couple years prior to moving here, I say nothing.

I stretch out my arms a bit, trying to convince myself to let go of the idea that I need to impress them.

However, once I'm tossed the ball and hear my cue, it's like muscle memory. I throw the ball in the air and launch it across the gym. It whizzes over the net, and Jessica, the other team's captain, struggles to keep us from scoring. I can feel the weight of Tall Girl's gaze bearing on the back of my head.

Once the ball returns to our side, she and Jessica go back and forth a bit until the ball returns to us, nearing the corner of my zone. I dive forward and save the ball from hitting the ground, to which Tall Girl responds by spiking the ball to score our first point.

"New Girl! That was amazing. Where'd you learn to play like that?" Tall Girl asks me as I stand up, dusting off my legs. I allow the corners of my glossy lips turn up just a bit.

"The Queen City. My last coach was pretty intense," I answer. I very briefly have a memory of my life last year flash in my mind, but I quickly push it away.

"So you've played before. You should have told me." Her mouth bends into a smile, seemingly friendly atop her intimidating athletic appearance.

I shrug, this time letting out the confident reply that comes to mind. "I figured you would rather see it for yourself. Was I wrong?"

"She was probably too scared of you, Tay. You're like a wall." Tall Girl turns to look over at Jessica, the other team captain, and give her a glare. Jessica continues anyways. "That mouse couldn't hold up on our team and you know it. She's weak."