30

"Oh wow, Van, I hate to put an end to all this fun we're having but your shift is over!" I say loudly, trying my best to get him out of here before the dinner rush starts.

"But I was gonna invite you to see Death Killers play at this party!" Van says as I lead him over to the door.

"Oh, I'm sorry, I'm busy that day," I tell him, despite not knowing what day it is.

There are a lot of things I put up with and handle gracefully in my life, but Van is not one of them. As soon as I get this kid to leave, I greet the next party and lead them to an empty table.

When I get back to the podium at the front, Zara is there.

Hmm... maybe now I can get some answers.

Although, now that I know what those people have done to Ethan, I'm not sure I even want to learn anything else. It might just piss me off further.

However, I know myself, and I know my curiosity often gets the best of me.

"Hey, hot stuff," she greets me with a smirk. "Long time, no see."

"No kidding," I agree. "You," I point at her accusingly, "have a lot of explaining to do."

"Really?" She seems genuinely surprised as she adjusts her shirt, pulling it over her round pregnant stomach. She's really starting to show, and her shirt occasionally rides up when she stretches or bends over.

"After you called me to pick up my brother, I came here and found him downstairs... in the basement," I fill her in. She nods in recognition. "Not only that, I ran into Hyseman. And he assumed that you must have sent me down there."

She groans. "Of course that dick had to rat me out. He was the one who told me not to tell you yet. He probably assumed I wouldn't listen to him and told you anyway. Sounds like something I'd do."

"Well, I wish you had told me!" I say, exasperated. "I was totally thrown off. I cannot believe there is a-"

I look around to scan the room for anyone who could overhear us before finishing my sentence.

"an illegal casino at the restaurant," I finish. "Who runs this place? I mean, who are these assholes who set up this heinous business? Why here? I have so many questions."

"Okay, calm down, Haven," she says, putting her hands on each of my arms. "Let me just tell you what I know."

I sigh, letting her tell me her side of the story so I can hopefully figure some of this shit out.

"Hyseman approached me a couple months ago and told me that he needed some help with a secret project. He knew I wouldn't be scared off by hanging around a bunch of criminals, I suppose. Anyways, he said he wanted me to take my hostess skills downstairs sometimes. You know, just take some drinks down there and put in a few orders, that kind of thing."

I nod along, glad that was the only extent of her involvement. I'd hate if Zara were working there or knew about my brother's situation and did nothing.

"Anyways, I did it few times and made hella tips," she continues. "Seriously, all these people are loaded, like filthy fucking rich. And so I kept doing it, but when I got pregnant, Jeremy didn't want me doing shady stuff like that anymore. He wanted me to quit, so I did."

"And who runs it? Hyseman?"

She shakes her head. "No, it's some big wig mafia-looking dude. His name is Oliver. Total asshole. He intimidates, manipulates, or threatens anyone who gets in his way. That's how he got Hyseman to let him use the basement for his business. That, and the fact that Hyseman is making around a million dollars a year off this shit."