3

"Hello there! Welcome to Lumières. Party of four?"

After I greet the group of people entering the restaurant, I grab a few menus and lead them to a vacant table, letting them sit down before informing them of their waitress's name and estimated time of arrival.

The first thing I did when we moved in was find a job. Lumières, an upscale French restaurant only ten minutes from my house, was the first place to give me an interview and offer me a position as a hostess. Because my parents have made it clear that they want me to become a pilot, just like my dad, I know that they would never approve of my wishes to teach, or pay for my degree. I've been saving for college for a year now, but I'm not even close. It's difficult to balance school, work, volleyball, and helping take care of my younger brothers and sisters.

"Hey, Haven. How's it going?" I look up to see Zara smiling at me, awaiting an answer. She's just a couple years older than me, and she's also a hostess here. She works full-time, though. She dropped out of high school her senior year when she got pregnant.

"Great. How about you?" She nods, pulling a small mirror out of her pocket and rubbing underneath her eyes to fix her makeup. She, somehow, is allowed to wear pants with her low cut blouse. Our boss, James, gave me three identical uniforms, composed of a black fitted skirt with a slit on the left leg and a black long sleeved blouse made of sheer fabric with a black camisole underneath.

"Bitchin'. Jeremy got me knocked up again," she tells me, and my eyes widen at the news.

"Oh, congratulations, Zara! When did you find out?" I smile a wide smile and give her shoulder a reassuring squeeze.

"Yesterday, actually. My sister is already planning a baby shower, even though I'm not due for several months. You're invited, by the way." She seems so nonchalant about the baby inside her, but I can tell she's trying hard to be.

"I'd love to come. Um, does this mean you won't be working much anymore?" I ask her, not wanting to assume she'd give up her job. I know many women would be offended at that assumption.

"Yeah, unfortunately. I'll keep going for another month or two probably, but I'm thinking about taking a few months off before I blow. Shit gets real around the sixth month, no joke." I smile at her profanity.

"We'll miss you."

"Oh, hey! How was your first day at school? That was yesterday, right?" Zara asks, suddenly remembering. "Any hot guys?"

"It was great. There definitely were hot guys." I look over to see an elderly couple entering the restaurant. "I'll fill you in in just a minute."

"Hello there! Welcome to Lumières. Party of 2?"

When I get back to my podium in the front lobby of the restaurant, Zara has already disappeared. I update the seating chart in front of me while waiting for her to get back.

"Hey, Sunshine."

My head snaps up to see Sin standing before me. He wears the same black shirt and blue jeans, his jacket missing. His shirtsleeves are pushed up to his elbows, his glorious arms exposed. My eyes flit over the tattoos, taking him in. When my eyes reach his face, I realize he's looking at me in a similar way. I'm suddenly very aware of what I'm wearing. He's most likely less infatuated and less impressed than I, but his eyes drink me in as well, scanning over my body. The moment reminds me of the one we shared yesterday in the hallway.

He pushes a hand through his hair and smirks. "You work here?"

"Um, yeah. You eat here?"

Wow, smooth response, Haven. I mentally kill myself.