4

"Ethan, I'll leave you!" I shout through his bedroom door, completely serious. I will not be late because of him. It's almost seven-thirty, and homeroom starts at seven-fifty-three. It's oddly specific, but that's when the tardy bell rings. I spent twenty minutes making muffins this morning so they'd be fresh, and it set me back on time.

"Do it!" He calls back. "I don't want to go anyway."

He might be testing me, but I take it and run. Once I'm downstairs, I grab my thermos of coffee and head out. I lock the door behind me, leaving Ethan alone inside, and I begin the drive to school.

"Hey, Ave," Beckett greets me in the parking lot. He looks giddy, as if he just won a bet or something. He also seems cold in just a pair of jeans and a thin red t-shirt. Peyton stands beside him in a similar outfit, jeans and red t-shirt, but with a jacket over it.

I'm starting to think these guys are trying too hard with their leather jackets. It's starting to get cooler, being early November, but it's still Southern California. It's not really cold enough to justify their thick jackets, so I can only assume they want to maintain some sort of bad boy persona.

"Hey, Beckett. Hey, Peyton. How are you guys?"

"Better now," Peyton says, and I roll my eyes.

"Peyton, will you ever stop with the flirting and the pick up lines?" I ask him, blushing regardless. He slings an arm around me in response, a smirk on his face.

"Nah, baby. Not for you. In fact, turn around and let me see that ass."

"Okay! Yeah, how about I turn around and give you a great view of me walking away from you for good?" I ask him, looking up expectantly.

"Wow, Pey, you left yourself wide open on that one," Beckett chimes in, bro-tapping him on the shoulder and chuckling.

"No way! Haven's just a pro at comebacks. But don't worry. There's no stopping Peyton Evans," he says to me.

"You'd better watch it, Evans, or I might not share my world-renowned blueberry muffins with you," I tell him, holding the box out temptingly.

"YOUR BROUGHT US BREAKFAST?!" Peyton and Beckett both shout simultaneously.

I laugh and nod. "Yeah, I told you. Breakfast is really important, and since everyone else seems so indifferent to the idea of feeding themselves, I decided to feed you all myself."

"You are my favorite person in the universe, Haven Walker. I am not joking," Beckett tells me.

Peyton grabs a muffin from the box and I think I can see drool on his chin as he agrees with Beckett.

"Oh shoot, I left my bag in my car. Can you grab it for me?" I ask Peyton. He nods, his mouth full of muffin, and takes a couple steps toward my car before I hear Beckett call out.

"Hey, Sin! You're here on time, huh?" Beck comments, and I assume that doesn't happen very often.

I take this opportunity to look him over, my eyes dragging up and down him, catching every detail possible. He wears all black today, a pair of very fitting jeans, a cotton long sleeved shirt, and leather jacket. His hair looks just as good as every time I've seen him prior, but it's now pushed back out of his face a bit, small pieces falling to the side. It looks divine.

He seems tired again, but if I'm being honest, his exhaustion only adds to his looks, giving him a rougher and darker air. His usual impassive, hard expression lightens ever so slightly when he reaches Beckett and I.

"Hey, Becks." They bro-hug, and I smile at the small sign of friendship.

"Hey, Sunshine," he says, looking in my direction. I smile a genuine smile and casually respond, tucking a strand of hair behind my ear.