Chapter 8: Girls night

It's been three months since Daisy's birthday. It's July now, and summer is starting. It's hot and sunny and everyone's happy. Bowser hasn't been seen since Daisy's birthday in April. I have that feeling he's up to something. Rosalina, Toadette, Birdo and Daisy have been by my side the whole time. So has Yoshi, but sometimes you need some girl time, right?
It's been an okay few months. I'm still missing Mario and Luigi, Dai is still telling me to move on and be kind to Bowser, I've had to still look after my kingdom, so I've been pretty busy.
"Hello Peach! What do you want to do today?" Daisy says.
"Well, there isn't much of the day left, is there?" I say, looking at the clock and noticing that it is 7 in the evening.
"Well Peach, there is something we can do! Yoshi is out planning our wedding, so how about we have a girls night!" Daisy asks.
"Great idea, Dai!" I said.
This girls night is probably the only fun thing I've done since Mario and Luigi died. It'd be nice to start having fun again, I suppose. But I still can't stop thinking about Mario and Luigi. Will things ever be the same again?
Rosie, Toadette and Birdo come and join us. Rosie picks up the channel changer and begins to flick between channels.
"Toad Town news at seven... BORING!" Says Birdo, looking closely at everything that's on.
"Look, The Star and the Luma is on!" Says Rosie excitedly.
"What's that?" I ask.
"It's this movie about a star that falls in love with a Luma! It's so awesome!" Says Rosalina.
She flicks it on. We begin to watch.
2 hours later, twelve cups of Peach soda and goodness knows how much popcorn, Rosie, Dai, Birdo and Toadette all fall asleep in front of the TV. I creep out of the room. I like exploring my castle during the night, and going to see that safe thingy.
I walk down the dark, empty corridors and reach the room with the safe in. Then I hear someone move. The footsteps get louder. I guess whoever it is must be getting closer.
What if it's Bowser? He'll kidnap me and it'll be game over again!
Then I turn around and see Rosalina standing behind me.
"Phew! I thought you were Bowser!" I say, feeling relieved.
"No. I'm not Bowser. But why are you creeping around at night like this?" Rosalina asks.
"Let me show you," I said.
I led Rosalina to the room with the big safe in. I tug at one of the many locks, trying to open it.
"That won't work," says a voice.
"Was that you, Rosie?" I ask.
"Wasn't me," Rosie says.
"Then, who was that?" I ask.
I notice a small toad girl appear from behind the safe. She stares at us.
"Princess Peach! Princess Rosalina!" She says excitedly.
"Who are you? And what are you doing here in my castle?" I ask the small toad girl.
"My name is Toadlia. I ran away when I heard about Mario dying. I decided that I needed to help you. So I've been living here in your castle ever since Mario and Luigi died," said Toadlia.
I felt full sympathy for her. I think she's the only person who knows how I feel and understands me.
"I'm going to go to bed. I feeling sleepy," said Rosalina, and she left the room.
"Anyway, what were you saying about the lock not opening?" I asked.
"It's voice activated," said Toadlia.
"Voice activated? What, like a password?" I asked.
"Exactly," said Toadlia.
"What is the password then? How do I open the safe?" I asked.
"I don't know," said Toadlia.
"Well, it's Bowser's safe, isn't it? That can't be too hard," I said.
"Bowser rules! Mario's stupid! Koopas rule!" I shout, but the lock doesn't budge.
"It's not opening. He must have put some thought into this," said Toadlia.
"Hey... Hang on a sec... Look at this!" I say, noticing that the safe has a date on it.
"That's fifteen years ago!" Toadlia gasps.
"So that means that the safe isn't Bowser's, then!" I said.
"But then, whose is it?" "Asks Toadlia.
"I guess I'll have to ask Dr. Toadley in the morning. He knows everything," I said.
"Dr. Toadley? Could I come too, please?" Asks Toadlia.
"Sure, but where are you going to sleep tonight?" I ask.
"On the floor, as usual," Toadlia says.
"But your parents! They'll be worried, looking for you all over! And it's going to be uncomfortable!" I say.
"It's worth suffering for you, Peach. Your my idol. I've seen all that you can get through. And I can do the same," says Toadlia.
"Let me at least get you a bed!" I say, worrying about poor Toadlia sleeping on the floor all by herself.
"No. I've been here for three months. I can stay here," says Toadlia.
"Three months? What have you been eating?" I ask, amazed that a small Toad girl managed to live by herself for three months.
"Leftovers from the palace. The palace was deserted for a few days after Mario and Luigi died, so I got myself a stash of food," Toadlia says.
I look at the small Toad girl. She's brave, she's strong, and she's just what I need to forget about Mario and Luigi.
And she truly understands me. Not like Daisy, Yoshi, Bowser or Birdo or any of the others. She really knows what I feel like.
"Go to bed, Peach. You'll need your sleep. It's a hard time at the moment. But we'll get through it. I know it's hard to forget about Mario and Luigi. I moved to your palace because I felt like you needed someone, someone like me to get you through all this. Someone who really understands you," says Toadlia.
"You're right, you know. You're just what I needed," I say.
"So, goodnight Peach?" She says.
"Goodnight," I say to Toadlia.
I walk out of the room and make my way towards my room. The other girls are fast asleep, even Rosalina. I decide to join them.
I can't believe that I found Toadlia. So maybe there is hope, maybe things will get better after all.