The 74th Annual Reapings

Ivy's POV: Ever since my Father was found in an affair my Mother had became sedated, no longer eating much, no longer sleeping much, just staring straight at the wall, her eyes glazed over. I rolled my eyes as our District Escort pranced onto the temporary stage constructed in the main square, "Welcome!" Our Escort began smiling, her abnormally colored skin showing in the big screen behind her, the Escort pouted with the lack of smiles. Huffing, she started the long speech that the Capitol made the Escorts read ever year, many of us hearing the speech for so long could recite it, word for word. "Beautiful." The Escort sniffled, wiping away tears. I couldn't help but roll my eyes, this happened every year, and every year the same thing. "Well then-" she began Turning to us "Shall we start?" She asked, her porcelain teeth gleaming in the sunlight. "Ladies first! As always." The Escort said making her way to the bowls containing every eligible (11-18) man and woman's name. Taking her sweet time she opened the sealed envelope "Ivy Winters! Is she here?" My blood ran cold, stiffly I joined the Escort on the stage. Contains my emotions in a hard mask. "No volunteers? How odd." She continued to the bowl holding the men's names "Jeremy Winters, oh my! Siblings! Come up here boy!" I looked at my brother, his eyes wide in shock, "I volunteer!" I turned to see a hand in the crowd. The Peacekeepers letting my brother run back to his section. The Escort's face showed disappointment, quickly flicking to happiness and joy. "Come up dear." I held my head up, secretly thanking whom ever had volunteered to play this game of theirs. "Name dear?" Our Escort held the microphone under his mouth as he took it from her, "Cato, Cato Hadley." He announced proudly, before looking at me from the corner of his eye. "Shake hands!" The Escort said guiding both of our hands to shake. "These are your 74th Annual Hunger Games tributes. The crowd cheered, in 2 this was a chance for a young man or woman to prove him/ herself and bring honor to his/ her district. "Now take them to the Red Rooms!" The Escort said in giddy glee.