Chapter six: Fear is a liar

I stumbled out of the movie theater. " Oh, man, that is classic cinema." Dewey comments. " So good!" Webby exclaims. " Oh, and remember when the surgeon tried to cut the mole queen in half but then she multiplied into a million mole babies and then they ate him?" Lena asked as she moved to imitate a chainsaw noise. " Aah!" Webby says then laughs after they imitated it some more.

I approach them a little. " You said this was an educational film. Suitable for all ages." Beakley says. " Uh, it's a cautionary tale about the dangers of mole monsters. And everyone could use a lesson on chainsaw safety." Lena told her. Launchpad walked out of the theater with fear. He looked at the poster.

I approached my friends. " Lame! Where was the drama, the heart, the needlessly expensive car crash mayhem?" Louie exaggerates. " Even if mole men did exist, why attack someone in the shower? With the water running there wouldn't be enough traction to attack someone above the knee." Huey reasons. " Forget about that logic. Who would ever want to attack someone while they were in the shower? Gross." I said shivering.

" Totally phony." Huey says as Louie nods his agreement. " What is with you guys? It says right on the poster: Based on an actual true novel." Webby procrastinates as she points out the notification in the poster. " This is the only book I trust." Huey says proudly as he takes his book from his hat. I went behind Huey. " If it's not in the junior Woodchuck guidebook, then it's not a thing." Huey claims and I mime him, putting a finger in the air. Huey turns to me. I just smile weakly. " I wasn't copying you. You were copying me." I say fast. Huey just stared at me with his eyes half closed. " You were copying me. I'm not dumb." Huey says. " I don't know what you're talking about." I flashed back. " Stop flirting with each other!" Lena says.

Then Louie and I look at each other for some weird reason and laughed. " It's called banter." Huey said, seeming to be embarrassed. " What about were-ducks?" Webby asked Huey, now basic on track to not crazy things. Just kidding everything is crazy here in Duckberg. " Nope." Huey says. " Tri-clopses?" Webby asked. " Not a thing." Huey says as he looks through the book.

" Well, what about the legendary Terra-firmians of Duckberg?" Webby questions. Huey sighs as he believes Webby is hopeless. " Let's see. Pterodactyl, terror-dactyl, terrible twos. Nope. No Terra-fermians. Must not exist." Huey says. Webby laughed. " What? Terra-fermians, the mythical underground race that live below our very city?" Webby tried to make Huey believe.

" No. That's ridiculous." Huey chuckles. " No, you're ridiculous." Webby comes back with. " That's a horrible comeback." I say. " Children, children," Lena begins as she wraps her arms around all three of us. Why do you include me? Is it because I said that was a horrible comeback? " There's an easy way to settle this. Let's go find them ourselves." Lena says. My eyes shine. " Let's find Groudon as well!" I squeal. " Groudon is not real." Huey says. " Yes it is. More real than you think." I say. " Drop it, Caroline. You know it's not real." Huey says. I just stared at him and growled. " Yes it is." I rebelled.

" Ahem." Beakley says. Then Launchpad freaks out and Katie, Louie, and Dewey follow Beakley and they try to stop him from destroying the poster. We run off the the subway. Huey, Webby, Lena, and I do. We step down stairs. " Wait, shouldn't we tell someone where we're going before we blindly explore a network of dark and abandoned subway tunnels?" Huey asked us. We blinked at each other briefly. We turned back toward the stairs. " We're heading down into the subway." " We'll be fine." " Okay, don't wait up." All those were really quiet. Guess this is the part where I yell now. " Chase Davenport is hotter than Oliver!" I shouted really loudly. Huey face palmed. Lena just laughed. Webby just looked horrified and confused.